Trying to move toilet water valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Shauna Finkelman

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was hoping to get some help with my little DIY project. I have to switch out my old toilet with a new one I was given. In order for it to fit, I have to move the water valve over about 3 inches. I thought this was an easy fix so I went ahead and drilled the be hole and tried to lift the water pipe through the new opening.

Now that I've done this, I've noticed the water pipe is too short to reach the new hole. :(

Can someone please provide me with a solution for this? Not sure if there is an extension I can use or something?

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_165033.jpg
    IMG_20200428_165033.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 292

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your supply line in the wall is pex. If you don't want to buy a crimping tool, you could cut off what's sticking out of the hole, use a Sharkbite connector and add enough new pex to reach where you want to go. It's usually a good idea to change the shutoff when doing a remodel. Make sure the one you buy is designed for use on PEX. Pex is usually sold in a big roll, but you might talk a plumber into selling you a foot or two off of one of his rolls, or, one of your neighbors might have some they'd give you. One of the big box stores MIGHT sell you a short section...haven't looked.

Note that pex doesn't like to be exposed to UV light, so protect the pipe accordingly.

Shauna Finkelman

Reaction score
That looks like polybutylene pipe, which nobody uses anymore.
The hardware stores have a Sharkbite coupling that goes from polybutylene to copper or PEX, which are a different size.

sharkbite_pb_pex.jpg

The gray side is for polybutylene.

Here is what it looks like from the top. With a little jiggle I was able to get everything up and connected. It is okay that the pipe is on an angle? Should I still just try to replace the pipe in the basement?

Young girl trying to save some $ here and turning into a disaster lol really thought this was going to be an easy change.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_084135.jpg
    IMG_20200429_084135.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 271

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It should straighten out when you fill the hole gotta sort of wedge it over on the bottom and then push it back other way at top making sort of an "S" this will tend to lower it just a tad turn valve straight for good looks and patch holes your done ps you might want to put an escutcheon on the stub out looks cleaner

Shauna Finkelman

Reaction score
It should straighten out when you fill the hole gotta sort of wedge it over on the bottom and then push it back other way at top making sort of an "S" this will tend to lower it just a tad turn valve straight for good looks and patch holes your done ps you might want to put an escutcheon on the stub out looks cleaner

Amazing! Feeling better about this now. What is the best material to fill with?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok but you should finish it off some kind of sealant ? I guess you could put a split escutcheon but it needs finishing off . handel low but looking better.

Reach4

Reaction score
It would be nice if that handle could be replaces with a lever, so that the the valve could be operated without tugging up and down on that piping.

Shauna Finkelman

Reaction score
It would be nice if that handle could be replaces with a lever, so that the the valve could be operated without tugging up and down on that piping.
Is there a way that I can replace the knob with the lever without removing everything else?

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe. If you pry off the cover in the middle of the knob, you could see a screw. Then could you find a lever to fit onto the same shaft? I don't know.

I would maybe consider cutting off two or three of the spokes of the existing handle.

Shauna Finkelman

Reaction score
ok but you should finish it off some kind of sealant ? I guess you could put a split escutcheon but it needs finishing off . handel low but looking better.

Will have to pick up the finishing touches from the hardware store. I think someone will be able to help me pick a sealant
I agree it's low but knob still turns and better than having to replace the pipes I think. :)

Shauna Finkelman

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone!! Much appreciated. Think it looks great for a first time DIY :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_130116.jpg
    IMG_20200430_130116.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 262
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks