Trying to install an utility sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Derek Kai Leung Chung

FIXINGSTILL
Reaction score
I am trying to install an utility sink in a room next to my laundry room that already has a sink. The utility sink will be back to back to the laundry room sink. I am trying to tap into the existing water lines and drain pipe.

Change out both water shutoff valves to dual handle version, and run the new sink supply lines to them, thru the wall with holes?

How to add a tee to the drain pipe? Some sort of ABS saddle clamp?

IMG_20200616_101127.jpg
IMG_20200616_101158.jpg
IMG_20200616_101143.jpg
erter.jpg
45654654.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They don't make a saddle fitting for that.

Normally a double fitting if you're back to back

abs_fixture_cross.jpg

This works if you have 2" to work with, but you might only have 1.5" there.

I sometimes do something like this with 1.5"

single_to_double_lav.jpg

If you opening the wall up, you might as well cut in some new supply lines for the faucet in the next room too.
I am not a fan of double stops.

Derek Kai Leung Chung

FIXINGSTILL
Reaction score
Opening up the wall would be my last choice. I prefer to open up a 14x14 hole so that I can then install an access panel (and drill holes on it for the piping).
I got 1-1/2" piping and I bought a "rubber" tee. Installation should be easy but my concern is if the tee branch would be too high (or low) to plumb to the new drain. I am trying to see if they make a double sided tee (like a cross).

IMG_20200617_103156.jpg
IMG_20200617_103149.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Stacking two tee's on sinks like that will siphon the opposing p-trap. There is a reason we plumb the way we do. We don't do it to make our job harder, we do it to prevent sewer gas from entering the home. Just a thought.

Rubber fittings like that have never been code approved. They tend to deform over time. We can get them passed off on our inspections.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry made good suggestions. Look at his pictures, Wouldnt recomend the rubber plumbing junk.

Derek Kai Leung Chung

FIXINGSTILL
Reaction score
I am a DIYer but can't do drywall nor sweat copper pipe. Also need this done ASAP to move on so I decided against what is suggested here. Afterall, I do not have to ruin my reputation or provide a warranty service for free if I have to redo it.
Now just waiting for couple 36" supply lines to come from Amazon...

IMG_20200617_192902.jpg
IMG_20200619_103845.jpg
IMG_20200619_103759.jpg
IMG_20200619_104401.jpg

No matter what. Thanks for the comments and the informative site.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you will replace the washcloth with a cleanout.

This is a "spigot" cleanout that glues into a socket, as a pipe could. There are other types.
plastic-abs-fittings-c5816hd2-64_145.jpg

There are flush covers if you don't have the depth for one as shown.

Reach4

Reaction score
Got it. So you will probably be gluing in a spigot trap adapter, cutting clearance holes in the access panel, and getting a suitable escutcheon-- possibly a box escutcheon or split escutcheon.

Derek Kai Leung Chung

FIXINGSTILL
Reaction score
My son 3D printed some "grommets" for the drywall holes.
I know it is not professional. I do what I could with parts from HD or Lowes. This is for a saltwater reef fish room. I know when I move or sell my house, I need to remove this so this is good enough for now.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks