Trying to avoid basement bathroom step - ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

tarnator

Reaction score
We are in the process of building a new house in Vancouver, BC. We thought that we had put everything in place to avoid having to pump with the basement bathroom, but the inspector just told us today that we will need to either put in a sump pump or raise the basement toilet and bathtub by 10 inches. He said no to a back-up valve. I am not sure how it got screwed up! Someone's math is not up to par...

Is there any other solution here?

I was hoping to have the bathroom as an option for elderly parents but that is not going to happen if there is a step to the toilet and tub as a tripping hazard. Am I left having to put in a sump pump? Is there any advantage to using a wall mounted toilet? any other ideas?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just put in the pump and be done with it. Plenty of homes have them. The outlet for a wall hung toilet is 4.1/4" off the floor for many. And there is no way you want your parents falling out of a tub. My sister has a built up tub in one of her cabins, and even though I know it's an extra step down, I still forget. It's crazy.

cat-orange-1.jpg

I met this orange cat on a job today.

tarnator

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.
I have a feeling that is what might be the solution. I don't like it - but at least I like the cat pic! :)

sigh... recommend a pump?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, a sump pump generally is used to describe a pump used to evacuate ground water, not sewage. That's often called a lift station, or sewage grinder pump, and a few other terms.

tarnator

Reaction score
FWIW, a sump pump generally is used to describe a pump used to evacuate ground water, not sewage. That's often called a lift station, or sewage grinder pump, and a few other terms.

Hmm, I think that might help explain why everyone on my team is so puzzled. It sounds as though they we actually have enough run for the basement bathroom to drain to the city lines. The inspector mentioned 'fixture restrictions' - so attempting to avoid a system overload? So maybe this is more that he wants some redundancy in the whole neighborhood system? I don't know.... I will have to see what my contractor sorts out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are there ever sewer backups after big rains in the area you are building in? If so, you would be best to get "overhead sewers". That way, your sewage in the basement is all pumped from a vented septic pit up to the sewer line. The sewer line is higher than ground level, so it is not going to accept sewage from the city sewer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks