Trying to add second light to existing wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Welty

Reaction score
I have a two way switch. That supplies electicity to two lights. One light is fully working. The second light was not connected. It has two wires, black, white, and a ground wire. My wire runs into a two way switch box. RED, Black and White.

How do I hook up my second light (White Wire, and Black Wire) into these wires at the 2nd Switch Outlet box. I see the Switch Box has a Red Wire, the Black Wire, and the White Wire? Which wires are connected to which wires? That is my question? Thank / Don

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a look at the working light...the wires connected to the actual lamp's black and white are the ones you need to run to the second lamp.

The red wire is usually the switched leg, and is typically the one that would be connected to the working lamp's black lead. But, without knowing how the rest is working, it's hard to say. You need to find out where power is actually coming into the circuit, so you probably will need to open up the working lamp's box and look...then, it becomes easier.

Reach4

Reaction score
This seems like a good diagram:
a3dmn.gif

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOmetimes, the source of power is up near one of the lamps, sometimes, it is at one of the switches...without knowing that, exactly how to add a lamp is a bit tricky based on just knowing what's at one switch. But, if you look at a lamp that is working, you should be able to figure it out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unfortunately, it is only in the movies that cutting the "red" wire always deactivates the bomb. In real life, the wire colors seldom mean anything. It is how those wires are connected together that matters and since we cannot check the wires to see what each is supposed to do, we cannot answer the question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks