Trust the ProFlex or try to break this galvanized threaded connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY_Novice

Reaction score
I'm really struggling with deciding to just trust a ProFlex coupler here (to join galvanized to PVC) or try to really muscle and unthread this joint and thread in with PVC. My main concern w the ProFlex is not be able to really test it for leaks other than a garden hose through a Santee which really isn't going to build any kind of head/pressure.

I've put a wrench on the galv pipe and gave quite a go at it but it doesn't want to budge. Don't want to break something else and make the project larger than it is. This is the drain side of a dual vanity. I'll use a ProFlex for the vent side with no hesitation.

Any tricks? Penetrating lubrication? Heat? Cut it out and risk messing up the female threads?

20210917_074110.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Cut the pipe then cut the nipple out of the cast iron slowly not to damage the female threads

Cut the nipple in two places near the top and use an old flat screw driver to knock the cut section and then cave in the rest of the nipple on each side to that will make it a lot easier to remove

This is what most plumbers use as I have a set of various sized

sylvan-chisel.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would go with the ProFlex coupling. Sylvan is an expert plumber and has decades of experience. We don't all have his skill levels.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thank you Terry

The installer used what appears to to be 11 1/4 drainage fitting but the problem is they use a close nipple which should be easy to remove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks