Trowel Size

Users who are viewing this thread

Claraarcher

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am continuing tiles from one room into another but the the currently installed tiles are pretty close to the floor and looks like the installer used a very small notch trowel. These are 12x24 porcelain tile so i would expected a 1/2 x 1/2 to have been used.

To not have an obvious lip where the new tiles go i am going to need to use a small notch trowel and slowly try to angle the tiles a bit to get to a point where i can use a larger notch.

The tile that are already installed seem fine after about 2 -3 years so i am thinking it should work for me as well but want to see if anyone had any other options. I do not want to put a saddle

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The notch size depends on how flat the floor is and how flat the back of the tile is, so it doesn't have to be all that large IF things are ideal. Don't find that all that often, but it happens. What's harder is to get the proper coverage on a large format tile. The transition between rooms might have been a high point, and the rest of the floor was lower, so to keep things flat, it ended up with a thinner layer of thinset right there.

My goto place for help with tile is www.johnbridge.com.

Claraarcher

Reaction score
The notch size depends on how flat the floor is and how flat the back of the tile is, so it doesn't have to be all that large IF things are ideal. Don't find that all that often, but it happens. What's harder is to get the proper coverage on a large format tile. The transition between rooms might have been a high point, and the rest of the floor was lower, so to keep things flat, it ended up with a thinner layer of thinset right there.

My goto place for help with tile is www.johnbridge.com.
yea i am sure the floor is not level so he did a good job overall as there is not much lippage. I'l give it a go and if a bork it up i'll see if he can come back and do the last room.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks