Trouble with copper fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has an inexpensive digital caliper, especially if you have a coupon for it...it can easily tell you if the pipe is within specs. Kind of handy to have one around for various things, regardless.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is why RIdgid makes a "copper tubing, inside/outside reamer". They know about the problem and it is NOT because of where you purchased the material, usually.

Joseph G

Reaction score
I abandoned my well and changed to county water yesterday, so i had a lot of plumbing inside to do. I ran into the same issues. Type L copper pipe and fittings purchased at Home Depot. Each fitting need to be hit for at least a minute with a dremel and a sand wheel to remotely fit. I am using a new automatic close quarters rigid tubing cutter. Getting frustrated, I grabbed some of my old grandfathers fittings I had in a bucket and they fit right on the same pipe with no modification.
I also for a customer's job purchased pipe and fittings from supplyhouse.com and everything fit perfectly. I am going to buy some fittings from Lowes and then Ace hardware just to see. I have a feeling its the home depot fittings. I am very experienced at plumbing with copper. This was really frustrating.
Interestingly enough, all the shut off valves from home depot went on to the same pipe, cut with the same cutter with no issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks