Trouble snaking 2" roof vent with 90 degree turn

Users who are viewing this thread

sssf

Reaction score
Hello LOVEly People, we noticed this week that our 5 year old 2" cast iron roof vent pipe has been holding water. I have a hand held 1/2" auger that connects to a drill but we were not able to get it through the 90 degree turn that is about 2 feet down the pipe. What would you experts recommend I try? I'm thinking a thicker cable auger, like 3/8" or 1/2", maybe one that is floor standing and electric so I can manually feed the cable with two hands? Your advice is appreciated. 8)

IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How much standing water? It may be that the vent is just slightly back graded?

sssf

Reaction score
At least a foot or two of water before the elbow. What's back graded? Don't think a vent should have any water, especially 12' above grade.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A vent can have water from condensation. DWV systems are humid. A back graded section would explain seeing a small amount of water in a vent pipe, but a foot deep of water suggests a much larger issue.

How long has the plumbing system been in use? Is this a new construction / remodel where the system was recently under test? Thinking that a test plug could have been left in place.

Is there a chance that this vent was purposely capped off and abandoned without being removed?

Seems rather odd that a vent would be clogged enough to hold water 12 feet above the drainage system. I would be concerned that by removing / puncturing whatever is blocking it could unleash a torrent of water inside the ceiling.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/8 snake should get through it . just a guess the hoime wasent brandnew built to code 5 years ago.
there is more to this story about why you even know its holding water and was up on roof running snake down a vent.
if a snajke wont go down how did you determine that entire stack isnt full only a Foot deep? very unusual to have that much water , you ran hose down vent maby who knows

sssf

Reaction score
Good questions. We were up there doing roof work and noticed water in the vent. The vent should connect to the main sewer line that runs to the street behind the house. All plumbing was replaced per code about 5 years ago. There are other vents for the main sewer line and there are no backups so it seems this vent may have gotten clogged and filled with rain water. We had a lot of rain over here a few weeks ago. Don't think the vent was capped off because it's a relatively new cast iron pipe from when we did a big project 5 years ago. Will try the thicker snake. Thanks for your advice. 8)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're sure the lines are connected I would put a small bend/kink on the end of the snake itself to bend in the direction you are trying to go. Its tricky to maintain the angle as you pull the cable out of the drum, the cable will tend to rotate. But the next bend is even harder to predict its angle.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well you probebly have pictures of the job to review . I can understand observing and wanting to cxheck into it. It just seemed odd with no complaint or mention of a drain problem and up on roof snaking its not normal at all to have that water. trees and debris leaves all over the place ? How about pour a gallon of water down?
You must remember where the pipe goes right?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
vent for a garage sink? maybe they blocked off the vent when filling for test and the garage roof is lower than the dwv on rest of house filled stacks with water and never dumped the water on that garage vent just a guesssometimes visqueen under a no hub coupling is used there are other tricks we use not really tricks just trying to make it pass a through the roof test

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok great the pipe goes to some where but either way you are on track let us know Its good to have closure

sssf

Reaction score
Tried hydro jetting today and water came into the garage from the ceiling where the vent pipe is. Seems this pipe was capped at some point. Thanks for your advice.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok well it dosent matter to me but if you open up cieling youll know if it was capped or not you might have blown a joint apart

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks