Trouble-Shooting Well Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Omakwa

Reaction score
Well info - 300 ft. drilled in 1972, 6" casing to 40 ft. Well sized at 30+ GPM when drilled
Pump house is a roofed concrete vault with the floor 7 ft below grade.
Pump - Berkley 3HP - 20 GPM, Franklin Motor and Controller - Pump new in 2009, new controller in 2017
Drop pipe is 1.25" galvanized steel 20 plus years old.
No above ground check valves, unsure of any check valves in the drop pipe with exception of at the pump
Cycle Stop Valve new in 2019 CSV125-3 for 50psi continuous flow.
Pumptrol 40-60 pressure switch with low pressure cut-off
80 gallon pressure tank (22 gallon capacity) new in 2015.
Well used for domestic water and irrigation.
Static water level is 42 ft in spring and 52 ft in late summer
Maximum draw down when pumping is 15 ft from static level.
Main water usage area is 25 ft higher in elevation than pressure tank and CSV valve.

I started running sprinkler sets on my yard last. When irrigation controller switches zones the pump pressure switch shuts down the pump on low pressure cut-off. My trouble shooting has consisted of replacing the pressure switch which resulted in no change. When I close the main shut-off valve in the pump house the pressure slowly increases and shuts off at 60 psi. The pressure then drops to 40 psi in about 8 minutes and the pump starts up. It takes 2 1/2 minutes to build back up to 60 psi. I have remove the pressure switch and installed an new pressure switch without the low pressure cutoff.

I think the drop pipe is leaking or a check valve went bad or the pump is wearing out. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Omakwa

Reaction score
Problems solved. The drop pipe had a 1/2" hole in it. I had a new Grundfos SP25S30-15 pump and 3 hp Grundfos motor installed on the end of 280' of 1.5" Sch 120 drop pipe. The old pump and motor was still working and running 20 gpm sprinkler sets and household water. I just didn't want a 12 year old pump and motor on new drop pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks