Trouble locating closet flange screw "nut"

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Mark Ezrin, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mark Ezrin

Mark Ezrin New Member

Ok, this is probably an easy question and a stupid one.

I was repairing a toilet that had leaked. I removed the toilet to clean up and then put in a new wax ring. Of course the flange screws/bolts were stripped so I bought new ones.

What do the bolts connect to? Because of the flange and limited visibility, I can't really see what I'm looking for.

I was able to get one easily installed. The 2nd was some trouble but it looks like there is some type of mesh netting that it grabbed and held. Is this correct?

Since I've got limited visibility, I can't get the 3rd and 4th bolts to connect or grab anything. Are there some tricks or suggestions you can share?

Thank you.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The closet flange gets secured to the floor, either by screws or tapcons.
    The closet bolts, those things that hold the toilet, will have a flat head that fits either in the slot of the flange, or sometimes in two notches.

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mark Ezrin

Mark Ezrin New Member

My apologies for not being clear.
    I'm talking the screws that go down into the flooring. I can't seem to get the new screws to fully connect with something. Is there a nut in the floor below? Is that wire like mesh what they grab onto it?

The flange is sitting on standard bathroom tile.

I hope my question makes more sense. Thanks.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Those screws into the floor vary with the floor. Sometimes a longer screw will be able to go down to some deeper layer where the screw can bite. The 3rd and 4th screws that don't hold -- how long are they?

What do you think is down there -- concrete slab, wood subfloor, or what?

6. Mark Ezrin

Mark Ezrin New Member

It is hard to see through the flange and determine what the builder has under the tile. All the screws are 2.5" long, and the same length as the screws I removed. I do feel like I see concrete or something for screws 3 and 4. I repositioned screw #3 and it started to give resistance. A lot of resistance. But not knowing what it is, I'm afraid of pushing hard and doing some damage.

For the 2nd screw, does a mesh material of some sort seem reasonable for what it is connecting to? Given what it is, the screw will clearly never fully bite.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

1. Is this toilet on the ground floor?
    2. If you stick a probe, such as a skewer, into hole 4, how deep can the skewer go? This is probing for whether a longer screw might be needed. It is also possible that a fatter screw could give you the bite you need.
    3. Is your house on a slab?
    If you cannot screw the flange down sufficiently, you could use a repair flange.
    PASCO 21013 and Superior 21015 are repair rings with mounting tabs outside. The repair flange would go atop the existing flange. With extra holes, you should be able to ge t [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    the two front 'bolts' are unnecessary. I usually "dummy" them with stove bolts and nuts through the bowl with the caps on them.