Trouble brewing on waste line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bens

Reaction score
I had the chance to look up the wall at a galvanized vent which drops down to the first floor.
I was surprised when I cut it on the first floor that some rust dropped out. It must have been from farther up the line as normally the steel is pristine in the vent pipes. I didn't see rust near where I cut.

What you see in the picture is the horizontal run of a cast line which receives the closet bend, the bathtub and the sink waste from the second floor bath. The galvanized vent in question runs beneath and then I assume makes a turn upwards once it clears the cast iron.

Look at those rust spots on the galvanized vent. They shouldn't be there.
Is it possible that seals on the waste line above are dripping and hitting the vent below? Does this look like impending failure? Is it possible that the vent is actually rusted through entirely above that spot and this is the source of the falling rust found inside of the vent?

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_041838013.jpg
    PXL_20210407_041838013.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 2021-04-07 13_02_17-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
    2021-04-07 13_02_17-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 124

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats really hard to say.. It looks like a drip onto the steel vent pipe. The cast hub lines up with that perfectly. The other spot also has classic white drip marks..

Maybe thats not even rust you're seeing, but some other gunk that dripped down from the cast iron?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks