Trim Toilet Flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryM13

Reaction score
Hi all,

Great forum, I've been lurking for years and as a DIYer I've taken on a few tasks. I've had plumbing inspectors come by and tell my work looks great, I guess it's a testament to reading this forum.

Long story short, I'm doing plumbing in my basement, builder put in the ejector pit and a single pipe coming out. I tapped into that 3" pipe and added a shower drain, sink drain, and a toilet drain.
image.jpeg

Pictured below, I ran 3" from the toilet to the long sweep pictured above.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Everything is pitched 1/4" per ft. (Approx 4' total run)
Problem is, it looks like my 3" elbow is sitting too high! The width of my blue level is about the finish height when the tiles will be installed. If I seat the toilet flange directly to the elbow, I think I'll be too high by about 3/8"

Below are pictures of the flange I bought. The first picture, the "sleeve" is 1 15/16" long, the second picture, where the slope ends, the "sleeve" is 1 5/8"....the big question is, can I cut the "sleeve" on the toilet flange approximately 3/8" so that it can seat flush with the finished floor? (I don't want the toilet on a riser either)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Personally, I think the builder didn't put the ejector pit in deep enough, but I can't fix that so I won't complain....too much :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Where in your photos will the toilet go? Will that go on the 3-inch vertical PVC to the left of the big level?

Did you already glue that pipe into place? Otherwise maybe a 3-Inch Spigot Fit Closet Flange might have worked for you, if you could have found one. If I understand correctly, that would have the same OD as a 3 inch PVC pipe. I think Sioux Chief 886-PTMS is such a flange. I don't know if its tail would be long enough. If you could raise that elbow, it could be.

If you try try your cut-down idea and it fails, it seems to me that you would have the option of going to an inside fit flange. A 888-GPM Push-tite has too long of a tail, but it would seem possible that you could do some surgery on one to shorten it. It would be the opposite of this: http://www.siouxchief.com/docs/defa...n---pushtite---instruction-sheet.pdf?sfvrsn=6 An advantage of a push tite is you don't have to get this glued into place. It can be adjusted later.

I am not a plumber, and I suspect your idea would be better than the ones that I threw out.

Last edited:

LarryM13

Reaction score
Where in your photos will the toilet go? Will that go on the 3-inch vertical PVC to the left of the big level?

Yes, the level that is laying flat is where the toilet will go. The width of the level is almost exactly the height of the finished floor. I used it to determine roughly how much of the toilet flange I may need to cut.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sioux Chief makes a flange that doesn't have the angle at the top. It allows you to drop it lower on the pipe.
Cutting 3/8" off is not a big deal though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks