Tricky Faucet Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

dry

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a DIY'er hoping to get some advice on uninstalling a faucet, so please forgive if I do not use the proper terminology. I really appreciate your time and any advice you can provide.

The tricky part is how the faucet was originally attached. My sink is a 3-hole sink like the one in the link below:

https://www.plumbersstock.com/images/products/large/00364617.jpg

When the faucet was originally installed, the 2 outer holes had bolts coming down from the top with a plastic threaded washer/nut on the bottom to tighten and secure the faucet base plate to the sink. As far as I can tell, the people who installed it used plumber's putty or some other kind of adhesive to bond the wide and flat surface of the plastic washer/nut to the bottom of the sink. Because of this, I am unable to unscrew these and remove the faucet. I was able to break the seal, but still cannot unscrew the washer/nut.

I'm thinking that my only option at this point is to take a dremel to the plastic washer/nut and bolt to cut them loose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If more information is required, I'll gladly provide what I can. Thanks in advance!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, breaking the nut is how to do it. A dremel should work. I often use a sharp chisel, but you have to be careful not to "ding" the sink.

Sound like they used putty on top of the sink, but uses so much that it squeezed down through the hole

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks