trial for ignition

Users who are viewing this thread

Netmouse

Reaction score
I have a new gas steam boiler Peerless 63-03-SPRK-SP with spark ignition. The burner seems to have a continuous trial for ignition and keeps firing very frequently. The burner fires for 2 minutes about every 8 minutes. During the day there is no call for heat, the sun in windows raises the temperature.

Can this be stopped unless there is a call for heat? It is SO ANNOYING, this old house has uninsulated wood floors and I hear every click on and click off.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
More than just annoying, running a 20-25% duty cycle on the burner when there is no call for heat is a wasteful short-cycling that will eat into your average efficiency.

Dig into the manual- if you can't figure it out, call the installer or tech support at Peerless (they may or may not want to talk to a homeowner), but this doesn't sound like a normal operating behavior.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The theory of operation section of the manual needs to be read and understood...this could be normal, it may indicate a settable function, it may indicate an error situation. Never owned a steam boiler...it may be trying to keep the system near boiling so there's not a big delay when a call for heat is received. It takes a lot more energy to go from 212-degree water to 212-degree steam, than to raise the liquid in the normal liquid range (freezing to boiling point).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks