Trenchless- burst vs liner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon229

Reaction score
I need to replace the 4" lateral on my 54 yr old house due to roots. Currently cleaning out every 3 months but sometimes that is not sufficient. Based on common building methods in my area I believe that Orangeburg was used. Originally there was a septic tank that was later replaced with city sewer. It could be that my problem is the connection where the line was changed when they abandoned the septic.

I'd like to get opinions on whether I should go with a liner (felt w/ epoxy) or to go with pipe bursting.
The lateral is about 130 ft from house to street.

What are the advantage/disadvantage of these methods?

Jon

Cookie

Reaction score
Before you do anything you need to run a camera down the entire length and if, you have any back pitch or bellies you would have to at mimimum dig up those areas. After having a camera run though the pipes you can better access the situation. Personally, I believe fiberglass mesh and resin lining is better than pipe bursting.

Jon229

Reaction score
Thanks, Cookie. I have already had the camera run. There was about 1/2" or less water in some parts but nothing was said to me about that being dips so I don't know what constitutes a 'dip'. Also they were only able to run it to 100 ft, not quite the full length.

I am concerned that the fiberglass/resin lining will reduce the diameter of the pipe compared to pipe bursting. Or is the reduction of diameter so small as to be insignificant?

jon

Cookie

Reaction score
Jon, there should be no water in the pipe anywhere after it sits for some length of time. While 1/2" is minimal it is still not proper. That is a slight dip or belly. As far as the 30 feet, Jon, that is 30 feet you don't know about. Are there any trees near the last 30 feet? As far as the lining I would not be concerned about the slight decrease in the ID.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks