Trap protrudes through vanity bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

qwerty

Reaction score
Hi,

We had a contractor/plumber add a bath in a newly built dormer; my wife is very upset that the nice new vanity was "butchered" (her words).

I have seen another thread where this had to be done - but our question is, since this was new construction, did it? It seems that raising the drain entry in the wall would have prevented this. Or is there a code requirement for the height of this entry? I've attached pictures of the rough and the result.

At this point we're going to live with it, but I would like to understand if it had to be this way or not.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC09892.JPG
    DSC09892.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 975
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,041

oaomcg

Reaction score
It looks like they didn't plan for the floor of the cabinet to be so far off the ground. It seems like an unusual vanity with such a large gap under it. Was it on site to measure before the rough in?

qwerty

Reaction score
The cabinet was on site well before the plumbing was done. We pointed out that it was like this as well. This is why we don't understand why it ended up this way. He says it cannot be fixed at this point.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are shallow p-traps that you could use so at least it want be visible from below the cabinet.
Another option would be to raise the trap arm by using a sanitary tee and an AAV.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
If they had access to the cabinet beforehand then it was their mistake. It is not that it cannot be fixed but they don't want to open up the wall to fix it, possibly requiring a re-inspection.

Changing to a 1 1/4" trap without the bottom cleanout could make it look less intrusive.

Sloppy work in that they didn't even install the supply lines level. And to boot one is directly on top of the drain.

Also - I see wiring for the other room but don't see any for a receptacle at the vanity. Did they remember to install one?

Reach4

Reaction score
A workaround would be to paint the trap to match the walls.

Maybe your wife could live with that with a financial settlement to go along.

How high is the center of that trap arm from the floor? It looks like you have plenty of drop to install a garbage disposal under your lavatory. :rolleyes:

JRC3

Reaction score
The symmetry of the supply lines has my head exploding. Especially starting from scratch with no studding forcing their location.

Given all the odd sized vanities nowadays, especially with all the odd drawer configurations, any decent remodeler should know to check the vanity if it's at hand. It sounds to me like one guy is doing all the work. The beauty of a 'Jack of all trades' remodeler is that he puts everything exactly where it needs to be because he is the guy doing the next step, and so on. There is no guess work for a sub because you are the sub.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Going with the AAV, like mentioned above gets rid of the trap below the cabinet.
The trap would be higher, and you would be venting that trap with an AAV.
Though really, unless you get down on your knees, who's going to know?

Stuff

Reaction score
Every time you open the cabinet you will see a hole cut out of the bottom. If you do get the trap raised get a piece of painted plywood/melamine in there.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
My are of the country

1- Does not allow AAV'S (for very good reason)

2- Minimum size trap is 11/2" outlet 11/4inlet

Most of the older generation of mechanics learned measure twice and cut once and plumbers usually ask prior to installing the roughing for a catalog cut of the fixtures etc.

For a new installation it look like worse then what your wife said

For example the valves look like they were installed and the cabinet was drilled after the fact

No escutcheons installed etc,etc

qwerty

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. There is one contracotr doing most of the work, with subs for electrical and plumbing.
There is a receptacle on the wall to the right of the vanity, you can just see it in the picture off the rough.

Like I said at this point we will live with it. The contractor did cut some thin melamine to fit closely
around the pipes, so that the hole is not obvious from the top, so that looks better. And you cannot see
it protruding through bottom unless you crouch down. Still it is very disappointing.

I am not impressed with this plumber, or how closely the main contractor has kept an eye on things, he
should have caught this before it was unfixable.

> Is the elbow near the floor under the the sanitary tee a long 90, as it should be?

I am not sure what this means? At this point everything is finished and tiled over, I can only trust that
the inspector would have noticed anything out of sorts.

Reach4

Reaction score
> Is the elbow near the floor under the the sanitary tee a long 90, as it should be?

I am not sure what this means? At this point everything is finished and tiled over, I can only trust that
the inspector would have noticed anything out of sorts.
This is a fitting whee the flow goes from vertical to horizontal. That is supposed to be a more gradual bend to avoid clogs. Since this is a lavatory rather than a kitchen sink, it probably will not clog. But it was supposed to be a different fitting I think.

img5.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is a fitting whee the flow goes from vertical to horizontal. That is supposed to be a more gradual bend to avoid clogs. Since this is a lavatory rather than a kitchen sink, it probably will not clog. But it was supposed to be a different fitting I think.

View attachment 38941

Yes, wrong fitting there.

Update: I looked at some IPC codes and they allow a lot different fittings than the UPC West Coast style of plumbing.

Last edited:

qwerty

Reaction score
Hopefully that will be all right. The the other is vent from the shower to the right.

Attachments

• DSC09891.JPG
    DSC09891.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 939

qwerty

Reaction score
The cabinet was onsite, bought as a pre-built unit. I'll have to measure the drain height when I am back out.
You can judge how butchered it is from this pic.
DSC00020.JPG

The general contractor has since covered this over with a tight fitting thin piece of board, so at least nothing will fall through.

Themp

Reaction score
Your second picture posted that shows the trap protruding below the cabinet bottom, seems to also show a shelf below the cabinet. Is this the case? It does not look like the floor and there are wood legs of some sort in the corners with shoe moulding going around. If it is a shelf, you could just make a false front on the shelf. You lose the shelf, but not sure what you would put there anyway. If it is the floor, am curious what the material is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks