Trap Primer Type

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Installing some new floor drains and expecting a trap primer will be required by code. There is a lav near one, and slop sink near the other. I was thinking it would be better to use an ASSE 1044 tail piece on the sink drains to prime the floor traps, and this is accepted by code. That would avoid the need for primer valves on the potable supply, and save water too. But could there be an issue with clogging, especially on the slop sink? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Based on the first reply, I think my question may be unclear. I'm evaluating whether it might be a good idea to use a gravity trap primer from the lav or slop instead of a primer valve off the potable supply, and both are approved here and would be plumbed into the drain as per code.

DoB

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Trap primer.

An ASSE 1044 tailpiece is a trap primer, and it's approved by local code. Are you saying you would not use this kind of trap primer?

Edit: We agree there is a need for a trap primer. I'm curious whether I might want to use an ASSE 1044 gravity type primer vs using an ASSE 1018 trap primer valve. Both are code approved, although there may be a distance constraint with the 1044, and if anyone knows what that is I'd appreciate it. The advantage would be no concerns with valve failure using the 1044, and no wasted fresh water, since the trap would be primed with grey water from the lav or sink. Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I am not sure how you would use the slop sink drain to provide trap priming, but the lavatory tailpiece will work.
I thought that too. But I think he's refering to a laundry sink on legs. A mop sink won't work. If it's in a residence than by all means use a tail piece trap primer.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Yes, it will be a laundry sink on legs, not a mop sink. My concern is, will lint from laundry water eventually clog the priming line to the floor drain? It doesn't sound like these are that common so I'm not sure what to expect.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like a problem. What do you think about using a 1 inch line from the laundry sink to the drain? Or perhaps the laundry sink could drain indirect into the floor drain, I don't know if that is code compliant here though, would probably complicate the inspection at the very least.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
p-traps come with 1/2" female connections, draining on the floor is messy. I think if I got a trap primer clogged with lint I would
try to wash it out with high pressure water. If you did clog that line and couldn't clear it, it's gonna cost you more than a trap primer.
one trap primer can service more than one trap. I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, just giving you things that I would be
think about myself.

Attachments

• strainer.jpg
    strainer.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 167

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks folks. It occurs to me that the primer is mainly an inspection/compliance issue since the traps will likely receive priming from the boiler neutralizer and moping the floors etc. Strainer is a good idea. I'll update this post when I decide which direction to go. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks