Trap Primer Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mculik5

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm renovating our second floor bathroom, which also houses our washer and dryer. One of the improvements I'd like to make is installing a floor drain to prevent catastrophe in the event the washer fails and dumps water all over the floor.

Given that the intent is that this drain won't be used, I'd like to install a trap primer to keep the trap sealed.

The joists are 2x10 (so 9" of actual depth) and the subfloor is 1 1/8". So, I've safely got about 9 1/2" of height for the install of a KERDI-DRAIN, 2"-1 1/2" reducer and trap. Plus, I need to get the trap primer line in there.

To do that, I found this - https://www.pppinc.net/products/acc...ompression/precision-priming-adapter-pvc.html

But, it adds significant height to the assembly, even if I cut it down.

What are some of the other methods for getting the trap primer line plumbed to the trap? Can you drill and tap a hole somewhere in the assembly and add a fitting? Or is the use of some kind of adapter like the one I linked to required?

Thanks.

primgind-adaptar-pvc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mculik5

Reaction score
@Terry - That's exactly right. My issue is that with that part installed, the total assembly height exceeds the joist + subfloor height. The attached diagram might help clarify the situation.

So, my question is, is there an alternative method to get water into the trap from the trap primer that doesn't involve this extra piece? What is customary in the field? Does everyone use these primer adapters? Is there another method that's common? Could I just drill/tap the PVC someplace above the trap, install a fitting and connect the water line that way?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Trap Situation.png
    Trap Situation.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 653

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can buy a floor drain with a trap primer plug built in.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:

Mliu

Reaction score
The trap primer tailpiece pictured in the post above this one is for capturing water from the lavatory drain; it provides the prime water for the floor drain trap.

Mliu

Reaction score
OP, what kind of floor are you installing this floor drain into? Zurn makes a PVC floor drain with a built-in trap primer port. You just knock out the PVC plug if you want to use a primer. You can see the threaded port on the side of the blue body:

Mliu

Reaction score
Or, you could forget the trap primer and install one of the new trap seal devices. Like Rectorseal's SureSeal:

These are easier to maintain than trap primers (which are a big problem if they fail or if the primer line gets clogged). The rubber flapper in the trap seal helps prevent the water in the trap from evaporating, and even if it does dry out, the seal prevents sewer gas from escaping the drain.

Since it's unlikely this drain would ever be used, I'd install a trap seal AND pour some RV antifreeze into the trap. The RV antifreeze will not evaporate.

Mliu

Reaction score
If you're really concerned about a leak or overflow from your washing machine, I strongly suggest you install a washing machine drain pan under your washer:

This one is stainless steel so it looks really nice, but it's also more expensive. If the washer will be in a laundry closet, you could use a less attractive (and less expensive) one made of galvanized steel.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The trap primer tailpiece pictured in the post above this one is for capturing water from the lavatory drain; it provides the prime water for the floor drain trap.

He said he wanted to install a trap primer. I was showing him an alternative. Haphazard post on my part.

Mculik5

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.

@mliu - I'm taking your suggestion - SureSeal and antifreeze. I'm installing a 2" Kerdi-Drain. Ordered a SureSeal online and it arrived yesterday. Fits perfectly and seems like it might provide some measure of backflow prevention, too.

I'm using Ditra on the floor and Kerdi-Band on the first few inches of wall (with tile baseboard), so no need for a washer drain pain.

Thanks all for the help!

Mliu

Reaction score
Just be sure to use RV antifreeze, not engine (automobile) antifreeze. RV antifreeze is used for winterizing potable water lines in RVs and is non-toxic (in fact, it's food grade).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks