Trap location for kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by dix, Sep 13, 2015.

?

What is the best scenario

1. Type A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Type B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Type C

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. dix

dix New Member

Moving the kitchen sink from a corner type to be flush against the wall and had some questions about how to plumb the drain line. I have drawn a picture with 2 scenarios, which one is better? Type A is the exising and Type B was suggested to me. Type A seems off as the trap is in the basement but then the line from the trap to the waste (I assume that this is also venting somewhat as there are no fixtures above where the kitchen sink ties in) is a straight horizontal. Type B seems better for the trap as it is accessible but then there is a vertical drop before tying into the waste/vent. Not pictured is Type C where the waste would tie into the stack above the floor, not sure why it wasnt that way before (above ground against the exterior wall?) and wonder if thats the best way - though connecting back to the waste line thats in place might be an issue if there is no slack to join. Are any of these scenarios to code? What is the best 'Type' to approach?

Untitled.png

2. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    "B" is ALWAYS incorrect. "A" may be depending on how your code is written. Into the vertical pipe above the floor is ALWAYS correct.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dix

dix New Member

""A" may be depending on how your code is written."
    I am in Ontario, Canada, is there a term for what thats called so I can check the code? Also, does it matter if that is the current setup?

"Into the vertical pipe above the floor is ALWAYS correct."
    Does that mean 'Type C' would be the best, even if it is on an exterior wall above grade?

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

This is how we plumb them. The vent for the trap is even with the trap arm to prevent siphoning.

6. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    the trap under the floor, might be covered by a regulation for the maximum vertical distance between the fixture and the trap.