trap for floor drain catch basin

Users who are viewing this thread

Timf

Reaction score
Hi,

Can I use a running trap without a cleanout on a catch basin like the one shown here?

Or is a cleanout always required for that?

Thank you,

Tim

oil.jpg

Last edited:

Timf

Reaction score
Here is a little more information showing what I need to plumb the drains for. It is a small bathroom on the side of a pole barn. The catch basin, toilet, and sink will all go into the 4” drain pipe leaving the building.

thanks,

Timbath.jpg

Last edited:

Timf

Reaction score
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is NOT a running trap, but if you EVER want the option to unplug it, you WILL want a cleanout somewhere, but maybe not in the pit where it would be "inaccessible" when it is full of water.

Timf

Reaction score
It is NOT a running trap, but if you EVER want the option to unplug it, you WILL want a cleanout somewhere, but maybe not in the pit where it would be "inaccessible" when it is full of water.

OK, thank you very much.

I think I explained poorly. The trap would be external to the catch basin. The inspector said I need a trap and a primer for this use.

Does a trap like this look acceptable, with the left vertical being a vent?

running trap.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the clean-out. That is a good idea!

Last edited:

Timf

Reaction score
Sorry about all the questions and I appreciate the help. I'm just trying to verify the trap plumbing appears to be to code (UPC here) before I order the catch basin.

Please let me know if this looks wrong or if I can give more information.

thank you...

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, thank you very much.

I think I explained poorly. The trap would be external to the catch basin. The inspector said I need a trap and a primer for this use.

Does a trap like this look acceptable, with the left vertical being a vent?

View attachment 16291

Thanks for the advice on the clean-out. That is a good idea!

Yes that works

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the basin has an internal trap, like the one you show, then your proposal is completely wrong, and so is the inspector, because that would create a double trap, resulting in NO, or slow, drainage. You WILL need a vent on the line from the tank however to have a correct installation. When it came to oil, grease, and sediment, however, we used to have to install a "triple basin" setup.

Timf

Reaction score
IF the basin has an internal trap, like the one you show, then your proposal is completely wrong, and so is the inspector, because that would create a double trap, resulting in NO, or slow, drainage. You WILL need a vent on the line from the tank however to have a correct installation. When it came to oil, grease, and sediment, however, we used to have to install a "triple basin" setup.

Thanks! I checked again with the inspector and misunderstood the trap requirement. I don't need the external trap, only a vent for the internal trap.

I do need to use a primer in the catch basin so will look for something that will work best for that. Any recommendations on the best type of trap primer, please let me know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks