Trap arm height relative to hanging cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

Bschooly

Reaction score
I'm remodelling a bathroom where a traditional vanity is being replaced with hanging variety. Trap arm exits wall at about 13 inches. Too low for cabinet.

Is my only choice to move the trap arm up the stack? Can I plug the old location or does it need to come out? See picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_092725.jpg
    IMG_20200401_092725.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 171

Bschooly

Reaction score
So the AAV negates the height requirement of the trap relative to the sanitary tee?

Doing this would mean about 4" of pipe exposed under the cabinet (as the bottom of the cabinet is 15" from the floor). Might be OK; not noticed...

Reach4

Reaction score
So the AAC negates the height requirement of the trap relative to the sanitary tee?
Under that AAV, there is a new sanitary tee that the trap connects to.

I would use a slip trap with a trap adapter, rather than the glued trap.

As an alternative, you could have the elbow and new trap adapter in the wall rather than outside of the wall. The AAV needs to be accessible for service. It could be behind a vented plate, or maybe you could even bring the pipe from the top of the new trap adapter back through the wall at 45 degrees. Then turn the pipe back vertical with another 45, and have the AAV under the sink. I don't know if there is room for all of that.

Attachments

• img_4.jpg
    img_4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 172

Bschooly

Reaction score
I'm obviously not an expert but can I add a dry vent and try that back into the vent stack? See image.

Attachments

• newdryvent.png
    newdryvent.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 170

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm obviously not an expert but can I add a dry vent and try that back into the vent stack?
Even better.

Run horizontal for the vent 42 inches above the floor (6 inches above the flood level of the sink) or higher.

Bschooly

Reaction score
What diameter? Wonder if there is a technique for tying into cast iron in situ...

Reach4

Reaction score
What diameter? Wonder if there is a technique for tying into cast iron in situ...
I think 1.5 or larger.

If trying to insert something into cast iron, strongly support what will stay, before cutting. Riser clamps can help with that. Then use two shielded/banded couplers to insert a PVC pipe section with the fitting(s) that you need. The AAV avoids that.

To select the couplers, measure the OD of that cast iron that you propose to cut.

Or maybe tie the vent pipe into the attic to something smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks