Trap arm height, minimum tail piece length

Users who are viewing this thread

davefoc

Reaction score
Is there a minimum length requirement for a single bowl kitchen sink tail piece?

The trap arm center is 25 inches above the floor. The finished height of the counter top is about 36 inches above the floor. There was a seven inch deep sink in place previously. With that sink the tail piece was already pretty short.

I was planning to change to an 8 inch deep sink. Obviously a short tail piece is going to be even shorter. Are there issues with this or if it fits it's OK?

Another issue is that a horizontal 45 degree and a short extension are required for the sink trap to connect to the trap arm from the wall. If I was going to lower the trap arm I would probably angle it to point towards the sink drain and eliminate the need for the 45. Would that be the right thing to do?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No problem with a short tailpiece.

As far as your other issues, both set-ups you describe are very common and very acceptable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

As long as the trap is lower than the sink, it does not make any difference how "short" the tailpiece is. But you could never install a disposer with that drain height.

davefoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. The maximum length was described in several places but I didn't see anybody talking about a minimum length. Maybe I should have assumed that if it isn't mentioned there isn't one.

As long as the trap is lower than the sink, it does not make any difference how "short" the tailpiece is. But you could never install a disposer with that drain height.

This made me smile a bit. This is in an old apartment building and the electrical service is too small as it is, getting the trap arms at the right height is the least of the problems preventing the installation of a disposer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks