Trap arm - height adjustments

Users who are viewing this thread

Rousifier

Reaction score
The following was brazenly stolen from another forum and relates to a trap arm that has to angle down over an obstruction, with proper slope before and after the transition.

Question on another forum:I know that a toilet waste line needs to follow a 1/4"/ft slope so the liquids and solids don't separate leaving the solids to , well, solidify. Thing is - There's an area in my job where I need to run a drop about a foot long on a 45 degree slope. Will this "rapids" of a drop cause problems either with performance or inspection?

Reply: Go ahead and use two 45's to make your offset - it's a steep enough drop that nothing will get left behind. In addition, if it ever plugs up downstream of the offset, it'll be much easier running a sewer rod through the two 45's than through two 90's. If you want to go steeper than 45º but not as steep as 90º , you could also use a pair of 1/6 bends - they'll give you a 60º slope.

Would appreciate any comments or advice. I can angle around the obstruction with 135 degrees of re-routing using a long sweep '90', but if the 'fall' is permitted, it will give a straight shot from toilet to existing drain pipe. Wouldn't that make any future cleanouts much more effective and easier, since the toilet siphon (internal p-trap and cleanout), are available in the event of a clog? Does the rapid change in height effectively ruin the trap arm or make it more likely to siphon a shower p-trap downstream from the vent?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no maximum slope limit to a drain, just the minimum 1/4" per foot. You do want to avoid sharp bends as these can cause clogs.

Rousifier

Reaction score
Many, many thanks, Gary and Terry. What a grand site, full of goodwill, good advice and experience. I wouldn't dare to share my 'shots in the dark' about plumbing with you or the forum subscribers, but can say that your kindness has been an absolute gift to me and mine.

Gratefully yours,
R.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks