Trap arm from P trap damaged, stuck in drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Z from KC

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry to post yet another P trap question but after much searching in this forum and others I couldn't find my particular variant. I'm new to both owning a home and being my own plumber so go easy on me please!

My bathroom sink was draining slowly so I took out the P trap and successfully snaked the clog. However, during the removal, the nut at the trap end of the trap arm (i.e. B in the picture) fell apart. It's still on the pipe, but it'll never seal again as half of it has fallen off.

"That's fine", I think to myself, "I'll just replace the whole trap." I remove the nut at end A (in the photo, the loose nut is sitting in the middle of the pipe). Underneath the nut, there appears to be a thin rubber ring between the pipe and the fitting. Try as I might, I can't get the trap arm to budge. I've both pulled and twisted: no dice. I've applied enough force that the drain pipe has started to move, so I'm nervous to pull harder.

At end A, the trap arm is stuck. At end B, the nut is damaged. End B is threaded, but I can't fit a new slip nut over the pipe since end A is stuck.

I see three options. My ultimate goal is to install a new PVC trap (and new PVC trap arm if need be). The pipe is 1 1/4" diameter.

1) Find a nut that can be applied to end B. Would this have to be some sort of split nut or will a normal slip nut screw on from below? Can I switch to a PVC trap right at that connection?

2) Find a way to pull out the trap arm. Any suggestions are welcome.

3) Cut the trap arm where it straightens out and use a rubber coupling to switch to PVC there, then go all-PVC with the trap and connection to sink. Any recommendations on a coupling? The stiffer the better since the tailpiece-to-sink connection isn't threaded but is just held together by compression.

What should I try first? Any recommendations are much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Z

Slide1.JPG

Ladiesman217

Reaction score
It takes much less time and effort to fix things properly than it does to screw around with damaged items. I bought a replacement metal p trap at Lowes last year when I installed a new sink and vanity.

Fix it right and fix it once. Simply remove everything and replace with new.

As a new homeowner, start collecting plumbing tools on an as needed basis one piece at a time. Everything will come in handy in the future if you like to do the easy repairs yourself.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will have to muscle the old one out. Over time things get pretty comfortable hanging in there.
Pick up a new slip joint nut and washer for the nipple from the wall, and a new p-trap. You may need to twist and break out the old one, and then clean up the inside of the pipe. Sometimes the threads are damaged at the end of the nipple, meaning replacement with a new one. A large pipe wrench may be needed for that if that's the case. I sometimes see that on kitchens, less on lavs.

broken-p-trap-01.jpg

broken-p-trap-03.jpg

Last edited:

Z from KC

Reaction score
Ladiesman217: what do you mean by "remove everything"? Do you mean down to the white-painted vertical(ish) drain pipe?

Reach4: yes, I was referring to the vertical pipes. Nothing was coming loose when I pulled, but after a fair bit of force the white-painted vertical pipes were either bending a little or their supports (which are out of sight above and below) were shifting a little bit.

Terry: any advice for how to remove the existing trap arm? WD-40 + a long wrench to try to twist it out? If I cut it or it breaks, how do I remove the end that's stuck within the nipple?

Thanks all!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Crush it with slip-joint pliers and tap a screwdriver in between the nipple and the trap arm until it peels out. If I understand the issue correctly.

Ladiesman217

Reaction score
Ladiesman217: what do you mean by "remove everything"? Do you mean down to the white-painted vertical(ish) drain pipe?

Thanks all!

Remove what is easy to remove, and work from there.

Going back to the white part of the drain is good if you can get that extension out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Long-term, galvanized piping is a ticking time bomb. But, if you can't easily get the trap arm out (you're replacing it, so crushing it shouldn't be an issue - grab well with some pliers and twist), and, you've got a pipe wrench big enough, take the nipple out. If you want the next time to be easier, consider a brass nipple, but that won't help the time-bomb in the wall with the galvanized.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would remove the galvanized nipple. It looks like it's in fairly good shape, and will be possible to remove with a 24" plumber's wrench. A lubricant won't hurt.

Once it is removed, you just install a new drain system. We use ABS parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks