Trap Adapter for pedestal lav wall drain - what is this piece on rough-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

vailripper

Reaction score
I'm installing a new p-trap for a vanity that is roughed in. I'm trying to get the trap adapter as close to the wall as possible, so the escutcheon will cover the adapter (the trap will be exposed), but there is some sort of collar around the pipe where it comes out the wall:
IMG_3079.jpg

It seems attached quite tight. I'd like to remove it to get the adapter closer to the wall, but I'm not sure what I'm working with! Thanks for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
What size is the white pipe, 1.90 inches OD and 1.59 ID?

If you measure inside of the pipe with a small tape measure, how far back is the end of the pipe you see, and how does that compare to the distance to the wall? I am wondering if the piece you are asking about is some kind of escutcheon that is just held on with paint. Comparing how far in the inside of the pipe goes to the distance to the wall should help tell that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make a trap adapter that is hub, fits over the pipe, and a spigot, fits into hub of a fitting. They make a bit that drills out where the pipe is glued in now. One is called a RamBit or Reed Pipe Reamer.

cut-back-trap-adapter-1.jpg

Here the old stubout is cut off.

cut-back-trap-adapter-2.jpg

Using a Reed Pipe Reamer, the pipe is drilled out of the fitting in the wall.

cut-back-trap-adapter-3.jpg

I then glue in a spigot trap adapter that fits into the hub I've now created. Now the box flange fits over and covers.

trap_adapter_both.jpg

Last edited:

vailripper

Reaction score
What size is the white pipe, 1.90 inches OD and 1.59 ID?

If you measure inside of the pipe with a small tape measure, how far back is the end of the pipe you see, and how does that compare to the distance to the wall? I am wondering if the piece you are asking about is some kind of escutcheon that is just held on with paint. Comparing how far in the inside of the pipe goes to the distance to the wall should help tell that.
Yep - 1.9 OD, 1.59 ID. The 1 1/2 " pipe is 7 inches long, on the collar it says 2" x 1 1/2, it looks like the pipe steps up to 2" inside the wall, so my guess is it's some kind of 1 1/2" -> 2" adapter?

vailripper

Reaction score
They make a trap adapter that is hub, fits over the pipe, and a spigot, fits into hub of a fitting. They make a bit that drills out where the pipe is glued in now. One is called a RamBit or Reed Pipe Reamer.

cut-back-trap-adapter-1.jpg

Here the old stubout is cut off.

cut-back-trap-adapter-2.jpg

Using a Reed Pipe Reamer, the pipe is drilled out of the fitting in the wall.

cut-back-trap-adapter-3.jpg

I then glue in a spigot trap adapter that fits into the hub I've now created. Now the box flange fits over and covers.

trap_adapter_both.jpg

That's definitely the look I'm going for, but unfortunately I don't have access to a pipe reamer - seems like my only real option is to just attach my adapter as close to the reducing bushing as I can and have a bit of exposed work.

Reach4

Reaction score
Even at that you have a choice, presuming a 1 1/4 tailpiece. You can get a hub that goes on the 1 1/2 that mates with a 1 1/4 trap, or you can use a 1 1/2 trap and adapt at the input to the trap to the 1 1/4 tailpiece. That is what I opted for, figuring to give more potential clean-out access in the future. My 1 1/2 trap came with the adapter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks