Transporting water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

babbo

Reaction score
I have to move a 30 gal gas water heater from the big box about ten miles to my home. Will I damage the tank by moving it on its side in my covered pick up? Would it be worthwhile to rent a truck to move it upright? Many thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I lay my water heaters on their side for transport.

water-heater-hand-holds-1.jpg

I sometimes cut hand holds in the box so that I have a place to grab and pull the water heater box out of the van.

water-heater-hand-holds-2.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
As mentioned above, it doesn't have to be standing upright for proper transport, it can lay down - but the gas valve can't be at the bottom.
I transport WHs in a van, load them top first so that they land on their feet first out of the van. I put them on a 3'x4' piece of plywood and push them and the plywood in, so that they don't have a contact with the door latch.
Always secure them so they don't move and don't drive 60 in city streets.
On the ground I use a hand truck to move them around.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks