Transition from horizontal to vertical drain

Users who are viewing this thread

JAFI

Reaction score
I'm running a new below the basement floor drain to replace an old galvanized drain pipe that came up through the floor. The drain line I want to run is perpendicular to the basement wall. I would like to run the new line up to the wall and then straight up the wall using a 90 fitting. What I can't figure out is how to make the vertical run up the wall (Plumb) when the horizontal run is pitched 1/4' in 12". When I test fit it with a long sweep 90, the pipe pitches away from the wall instead of plumb (same 1/4" in 12" out of plumb). I'm sure plumber encounter this situation all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you glue the 90 on the horizontal drain, (if it is PVC). Put a torpedo level on top of the fitting and level it left to right and front to back, even though the fitting won't be perfectly bottomed out on the pipe its insignificant.

Reach4

Reaction score
That is vertical to horizontal, and that calls for a long sweep.

Putting in a cleanout on the vertical is a good idea usually-- especially if the pipe will carry kitchen waste.

JAFI

Reaction score
When you glue the 90 on the horizontal drain, (if it is PVC). Put a torpedo level on top of the fitting and level it left to right and front to back, even though the fitting won't be perfectly bottomed out on the pipe its insignificant.
Thanks, yes its 2" PVC, so there should be enough play in the fitting to correct for the fact that the horizontal pipe is pitched and I don't want that pitch to transmit to the vertical riser.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have heard some say the long sweep may really be a 92 degree, but I never checked. More likely things are flexible enough to give you your 2 degrees.

JAFI

Reaction score
I have heard some say the long sweep may really be a 92 degree, but I never checked. More likely things are flexible enough to give you your 2 degrees.
I already glued the horizontal piece to the long 90 last night. The horizontal run is in a trench below the basement floor. Any tricks for holding the pitch of the horizontal run in the trench while I try to glue the vertical a little offset in the fitting?

Reach4

Reaction score
I already glued the horizontal piece to the long 90 last night. The horizontal run is in a trench below the basement floor. Any tricks for holding the pitch of the horizontal run in the trench while I try to glue the vertical a little offset in the fitting?
Bags of sand and concrete on top of the pipe, and pieces of wood below?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks