Transition from 2" to 3" Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to run a 3" vent out of my small workshop (as per the AHJ) which has a toilet, lav, kitchen sink and floor drain. I don't have a lot of space and I was wondering if running a 2" vent and then transitioning to a 3" as the vent exits the roof would be a bad idea. The inspector says I can do it instead of running a 3" vent. Basically, I have a small service cavity that I would like to frame with 2x4's instead of 2x6's. A 2" DWV pipe will keep me from changing my service cavity to 2x6. As long as the vent eventually changes to 3", does the cross sectional area still allow the same airflow as if the vent was 3" the entire length?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The home requires a 3" cross sectional, normally by using two 2" vents and one 1.5" vent.
If you only have one vent for the entire home, then they want the 3".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks