Transfer Switch to Subpanel

Users who are viewing this thread

Jay Becker

Reaction score
We have a main service panel on the side of our house, 200amps and it feeds the panel we have in the garage, with a 125amp circuit. We bought a manual transfer switch and are quite clear on the installation of it and would like it to service the breakers there.

What we are not sure is about wiring this into this garage subpanel. All the instructions talk about wiring into the main panel.

is this a concern?

Thanks guys - love this forum!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you planning to have the generator supply any loads that are not in the subpanel? If not, there should not be a problem other than keeping the "ground" and neutrals separate.

Jay Becker

Reaction score
OK - so that's the difference. If I was installing the transfer switch at the main connect the neutral and ground are the same, but at the subpanel I need to connect the ground to the grounding bar?

And no nothing in the main connect panel I'm interested in

Stuff

Reaction score
If the transfer switch doesn't switch the neutral then make sure that neutral and ground are isolated at the generator. If it does switch the neutral then ground and neutral need to be bonded at the generator (separately derived system). Generator hookups are one of the more confusing things around. (I think I got it right this time.)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
For your purposes, it seems like the "sub panel" is a "main panel" as far as your generator is concerned. The main power just comes from a different source than a main panel would, but that should be immaterial in this case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks