Trailer Tub Faucet Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was called to figure out why a trailer tub faucet produces only a trickle of hot water from the hot side, while the cold is working at full pressure.

There were no shutoffs, so I shut off the main and pulled the hot stem and flushed out the hot side. The pressure is fine going into the stem. Put everything back together--still no hot water. coming out of the spout.

Repeated this experiment and switched hot and cold stems. Same result.

Conclusion: there is an obstruction between the hot water valve and the spout.

Tried to unscrew the spout to see if I could poke a wire through to the hot side and push out the debris or else use compressed air to do the same thing.

But when I tried to unscrew the spout, it felt like everything under it was turning. So I stopped. I was afraid I might be twisting the copper pipes that feed the spout.

I told the customer that it is time to replace this 35 year old faucet. I guess I need to tear into the wall and get to it from the side. Is that how you guys would handle this? Do I have to cut into the side of the tub as well? Or do you think it is a 3-sided tub?

BTW, there's no PB in this old trailer. Everything is either galvanized or copper.

Attachments

• Richard's Tub 001-Modified.jpg
    Richard's Tub 001-Modified.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 333

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like a Price Pfister Marquis. In any event, there is some kind of tubing, possibly flex, between the valve bodies and the spout. That piece is either kinked or clogged like with piece of a broken flat washer, etc.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jimbo said:
there is some kind of tubing, possibly flex, between the valve bodies and the spout. That piece is either kinked or clogged like with piece of a broken flat washer, etc.

That much I knew. My question is what is the best approach to getting at it to fix or replace? The homeowner thinks it can be gotten to from under ther trailer. I doubt that. I wouldn't want to cut through the floor and compromise the integrity of the floor.

Other possibilities are cutting an access panel through the wall and possibly through the tub, if it is a 4-sided tub. I'm even considering removing that little wall and then re-installing it afterward.

Anyone ever deal with this situation?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

It is NOT a 4 sided tub so that area is open once you create an access opening. The faucet probably has 3/8" corrugated copper links between the valve and the spout, with flare ends on them. You can remove them, remove the plastic flare faces from the valve and spout, and then replace them with stainless steel flex hoses which have a 3/8" compression nut on both ends.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
IBut when I tried to unscrew the spout, it felt like everything under it was turning. So I stopped. I was afraid I might be twisting the copper pipes that feed the spout.

Yes, good chance that the connector has how twisted and kinked.

As hj said, it they are OK with going through that knee wall, this is probably an easy repair, as you can still get those parts. I have seen just a few tubs like these, and they were 2 sided, not three. Hope that is the case for you. But I never liked the Marquis....pain in the .... to get the seat out, pain to reseat the stem gasket, small flat washer wears out too fast..... Why not suggest a nice new Delta or Moen for them at this time!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks