Tracing a leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Mick Haggy

Reaction score
Hello - during heavy rains how could I be getting water running down the outside of a PVC drain pipe clear down in the basement of a 2 story house? I sit down in the basement office with that pipe right above my head and heard it dripping onto the acoustical tile during a heavy rain. Now it does it constantly with the rains, and though not a whole lot of water, leaving stains after a while on the tile. Just had a new roof put on a couple months ago but don't know how it could be coming in from the roof way above. It's not in line with the plumbing vent on the roof at all. The pipe is built into the wall coming down and is where the washing machine drains into. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An incorrectly installed boot for the vent line roof penetration can allow rainwater to flow down the pipe. Once water is in the house, it can flow places you wouldn't expect it to. Since you had recent roofing done, and it seems to have started about then, that is the first place to look. If it's not obvious, then you have to start either tearing things apart or drilling some holes to insert an inspection camera's probe.

I'd get someone to get up on the roof if you don't feel comfortable doing it and look there first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks