TPR valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

Austin83

Reaction score
I’ve got two hot water heaters at my house, and I recently noticed that each TPR valve acts a little different. On one of the heaters the valve flows water as the lever is operated, and it keeps flowing if the lever is pushed all of the way over opposite of it’s starting position (the water shuts completely off when the lever is returned to its original position). The other heater’s TPR valve also flows water when the lever is operated, but it stops flowing if the lever is pushed all of the way over opposite of it’s starting position. Again both flow water when the lever is operated, but one keeps flowing if the lever is pushed all of the way over. Are both of these acting normally, or is one of these valves not working properly? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
word of advice
leave the T&P valves alone, do not open them, they do not belong to you,:D You do not have permission to open them,:rolleyes: They are not installed for you to bleed air.

T&P valves are notorious for getting trash on the rubber diaphragm and then dripping.
the only way to stop it is to replace it at $40.00 to $60.00 bucks each
The instructions on the tag say to open the valve. YEP...The seller of the valve knows if you do you will have to buy another.
thee is no reason to open the valve to test it.

Reach4

Reaction score
thee is no reason to open the valve to test it.
Do you know what it means to open a valve? It does not mean to disassemble.

It is good to open a T+P valve to test occasionally. You want to make sure that it not only releases water, you want to make sure it closes on its own.

I am not a plumber.

Austin83

Reaction score
I know that in the past, if I didn’t open it up for several seconds that it would get debris in the valve and drip. I’ve learned to open it up for 5 seconds or so to flush any debris.

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you know what it means to open a valve? It does not mean to disassemble.

It is good to open a T+P valve to test occasionally. You want to make sure that it not only releases water, you want to make sure it closes on its own.

I am not a plumber.

I do not re call posting anything about disassembling anything
I have no idea how to open a valve, why don't you explain how?

i disagree 100%, it is not good nor necessary to open a T&P
neither is discharging a fire extinguisher to check if it works either

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
WOW I never in all my years ever heard of such bad advice "
The instructions on the tag say to open the valve. YEP...The seller of the valve knows if you do you will have to buy another.
thee is no reason to open the valve to test it." <<< YIKES

Anyone familiar with the ASME , NBBI, NFPA 54, and any decent plumbing code or read the manufacturer's directions knows all safety, relief and T&P Valve must be tested (minimum once a year)

-- Rheem -- recommends doing it every six months. The test is simple. You pull up gently on the lever on the top of the valve and verify that hot water is expelled through the overflow tube, which should drain onto the floor. If you don't regularly test your pressure-relief valve, then Rheem recommends that you replace it every five years.

The T&P and safety and relief valves are the last line of defence against a catastrophic event so not testing any type of safety device is ludacris . Everything to lose and nothing to gain not testing

Annual T&P Valve Test
Following installation, the valve lever MUST be operated AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR to ensure that waterways are clear.

Certain naturally occurring mineral deposits may adhere to the valve, blocking waterways, rendering it inoperative. When the lever is operated, hot water will discharge if the waterways are clear. - Watts (2011)

Three-Year T&P Valve Inspection
Watch out: Temperature and pressure relief valves should be reinspected at least once every three years by a licensed plumbing contractor or authorized inspection agency to ensure that the product has not been affected by corrosive water condition and to ensure that the valve and discharge line have not been altered or tampered with illegally.

Certain naturally occurring conditions may corrode the valve or its components over time, rendering the valve inoperative. Such conditions are not detectable unless the valve and its components are physically removed and inspected.

An unauthorized person must not attempt to conduct this inspection.

Contact a plumbing contractor for a reinspection to assure continuing safety.

Failure to reinspect as directed could result in unsafe temperature or pressure build-up that can result in serious injury or death and/or severe property damage. - Watts (2011)

If testing any safety, relief or combination (T@P) for example if it seeps steam ,water or vapor (safety valves ) rety pulling the lever and let it reseat to clear any debris

I think most normal people would rather have a large flood then a small explosion

As an ex federal low pressure boiler and unfired pressure vessel I did bi yearly tests as it is just common sense and having held three master plumbing licenses it would be considered negligent on the "plumbers" part not to test and replace as needed.

FYI

https://www.travelers.com/boilerre/iw-documents/RCG-Boiler-Safety-Relief-Valves-902-bre.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks