Toto Water Supply Rough-in 5 1/2"?

Users who are viewing this thread

mandz2

Reaction score
Can someone explain the significance of the "special note" that Toto has on it's Specs that says, "Water supply rough-in is wider than standard 5 1/2" rough-in." What impact does that have on installation? What do you need to have in order to accommodate? :eek:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of the concealed trapway models may say that.
Some of them would be the Vespin, Carlyle, Carrollton, Carolina and some others.
With these, I find the center to center measurement for the water shutoff should be 7" or more. If you don't have that, you can move the shutoff valve, otherwise the valve will hit the back of the toilet bowl.

Their standard models will work with 3" center to center on the shutoff valves.

Last edited:

mandz2

Reaction score
Terry, I need a 10" rough-in and would love to get a Toto Carrollton (especially if I can't find the Gerber U.F.). Can you please explain to me what center to center means so that I can explain it to my contractor? I think he's misunderstanding the Toto disclaimer on the 5 1/2" rough-in and I know less than nothing about this.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The 10" rough dimension refers to the distance from the finished wall to the center of the drain flange. The 5½" dimension referred to is the location of the water supply valve measured from the centerline of the flange ( a line perpendicular from the wall, thru the center of the flange.) 5½ works for "most toilets" but models with the skirts, the valve needs to be further off the centerline, in this case I think they suggest 8"

About a year ago, I was visiting my brother in VA. They were in the middle of a big remodel in his house. Naturally I had to "look over" the rough plumbing. It was CPVC, which I do not love, but it was a respectable installation. Then he mentioned that he had speced the Toto's with the skirt. My red light went on. We went to the internet and downloaded the cut sheets, and faxed them over to the plumber. Disaster avoided, because drywall was not in and fix was easy. The surprising thing to me was that the plumbing contractor, who was providing the fixtures, had not bothered to look at the specs before roughing in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can get the spec sheet from the manufacturer's website...a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

mandz2

Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for your valued experience. I'll forward this on to my contractor and keep my finger's crossed. If Toto doesn't work out, I plan on going w/Gerber Ultra Flush, assuming I can locate one.

lowspeed

Reaction score
I just purchased the Toto Carrollton but i haven't installed it yet.

Can someone who has it comment of how well it works ?

That thing set me off $520 (with the 14'' rough in and the silent cover)

Is it worth it !?

cst774s-01.jpg

CST774S TOTO Carrollton

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is it worth it?

I always wonder that when the jeweller says,

"It will take a bigger stone."

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

The Carrollton has style and performance. It's your call.

lowspeed

Reaction score
Terry said:
Is it worth it?

I always wonder that when the jeweller says,

"It will take a bigger stone."

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

The Carrollton has style and performance. It's your call.

Well it's worth it if it has performance... style doesnt hurt.

not a good comparison to a diamond. :p

It could be a great looking toilet... and you have to clean it 3 times as much then its not worth it... i'm looking for good flush and pretty good "GRABBING"

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks