Toto Vespin ll install

Users who are viewing this thread

David Habich

Reaction score
I am installing a Vespin ll on a concrete basement floor .
My question is that my toilet flange is flush with the floor.
It is made of cast iron .
Can i install a unifit with jumbo ring with horn without any problems?
The instructions say to have the closet flange 1/4 inch above floor.
When I place a toilet adapter on the flange it doesn't sit right.
The toilet I took off was not leaking .
thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The wax with horn does not always work with something like a unifit. How does it fit without the wax, and then try it with.
I carry several types of wax rings in the van, because flanges are never the same. If you are flush with the flooring, a single wax without horn may be enough.
You will also need to have four holes at the back for the mounting screws. I use a 5/16" rotohammer bit for those if I'm using the concrete anchors.

toto-unifit-install-4.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am installing a Vespin ll on a concrete basement floor .
My question is that my toilet flange is flush with the floor.
It is made of cast iron .
Can i install a unifit with jumbo ring with horn without any problems?
The instructions say to have the floor 1/4 inch above floor.
When I place a toilet adapter on the flange it doesn't sit right.
I understood the question up until the part where the Unifit adapter does not fit right. The flange not sitting proud of the floor is not going to be a problem. However I would like to understand the bit about the unifit not fitting right. I suspect you are saying that the floor is not level where feet of the Unifit touch. In that case, I would add a shim under the leg that sits high, and run the screw through that.

I think jumbo ring with horn sounds appropriate. When I put my Unifit in for my Vespin II, I formed the wax the way I wanted it with wax from two rings, wearing nitrile gloves. But as long as the wax gets squished top and bottom, you should be good with normal ring placement.

What is nice is that after you get the Unifit placed, you can set the toilet on. You can freely add shims around the toilet base without worrying about messing up the wax, as you would have to worry about with a conventional toilet. Rocking is easy to deal with.

Caulk around the base when the shims are placed. That is mandatory, because the caulk helps keep the front of the toilet in place.

If the toilet on the unifit is not going to sit where you would like -- for example you would like it a bit closer to the wall, say so. You can use the slack to slide the Unifit a bit. I did something more unusual to handle a case where my rough in was about 13 inches.

David Habich

Reaction score
The wax with horn does not always work with something like a unifit. How does it fit without the wax, and then try it with.
I carry several types of wax rings in the van, because flanges are never the same. If you are flush with the flooring, a single wax without horn may be enough.
You will also need to have four holes at the back for the mounting screws. I use a 5/16" rotohammer bit for those if I'm using the concrete anchors.
The unifit fits on the flange good . When I push the ring and unifit down should the sides of the unifit touch the Floor?
It is a little out of level less than a half bubble,

David Habich

Reaction score
I understood the question up until the part where the Unifit adapter does not fit right. The flange not sitting proud of the floor is not going to be a problem. However I would like to understand the bit about the unifit not fitting right. I suspect you are saying that the floor is not level where feet of the Unifit touch. In that case, I would add a shim under the leg that sits high, and run the screw through that.

I think jumbo ring with horn sounds appropriate. When I put my Unifit in for my Vespin II, I formed the wax the way I wanted it with wax from two rings, wearing nitrile gloves. But as long as the wax gets squished top and bottom, you should be good with normal ring placement.

What is nice is that after you get the Unifit placed, you can set the toilet on. You can freely add shims around the toilet base without worrying about messing up the wax, as you would have to worry about with a conventional toilet. Rocking is easy to deal with.

Caulk around the base when the shims are placed. That is mandatory, because the caulk helps keep the front of the toilet in place.

If the toilet on the unifit is not going to sit where you would like -- for example you would like it a bit closer to the wall, say so. You can use the slack to slide the Unifit a bit. I did something more unusual to handle a case where my rough in was about 13 inches.
thanks I think I am on the right track.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The unifit fits on the flange good . When I push the ring and unifit down should the sides of the unifit touch the Floor?

Normally the Unifit sets on the floor, though it's not super important either. If the wax is sealing, that's the important thing. At the back where the screws are, that's where the bowl fits in. That should be fairly level.

toto-unifit-sizes.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Won't hurt. Mine does. If I remember correctly, the round part around the wax is deeper than 1/4 inch. My point is that if your flange extended up 1/4 inch, the round plastic would still touch. Here is a picture of a 14 inch unifit as it would have fit without modification. I decided to modify the 12 inch, since the 14 inch had resale value.
index.php

I expect the gasket at the entrance to the Unifit , that accepts the porcelain horn, would accommodate. Your toilet may lean the same way too, if you just shim to avoid rocking. I did something not normal: I shimmed my toilet to be dead level at the bowl top.

Is the answer to "what do you call the girl sitting on David's basement toilet?" going to be Eileen (or Aileen, Ailene, Ayleen, Eilene and Eilleen)?:p

Last edited:

David Habich

Reaction score
Glad I didn't have that problem.
Thanks for your help.
I got it put in without any trouble.
I don't think too much of the anchors that was with my unifit.
I hope they don't pull out.
In retrospect I would have used different ones.
No leaks as of yet .
I was wanting the 1.28 tank but somehow I got the 1.0 instead.
Hopefully it will be ok.
No girls in my bathroom.
Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks