Toto Vespin leaking sewer gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Thompson

Reaction score
I installed a Toto Vespin, with the adapter allowing it to be installed with a 10” rough in. During the installation I noticed a greater than normal amount of sewer gas venting from the closet bend. I plugged it with wadded newspaper while installing. After installing the toilet we began to notice the smell of sewer gas occasionally from this bathroom. It is most prevalent when the weather is above 70 degrees outside.

We had a toilet in this bathroom prior for years without this issue.

I am considering pulling the toilet and seeing if perhaps the seals between the toilet and flange and adapter and discharge outlet on toilet can be improved with wax.

Looking for ideas on whether I’m likely barking up the right tree? The adapter for 10” rough in on these is a rubber (waxless) seal, so I’m assuming that’s probably insufficient to keep the sewer gas from escaping. I am wondering though why the trap in the toilet is not preventing the gas from escaping in the first place?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a tight seal between the rubber at the top of the adapter and the spigot of the bowl. Are you sure you have enough seal between the floor flange and the adapter. I normally install those with two wax rings unless the flange is above the finished flooring.

Steve Thompson

Reaction score
It's a tight seal between the rubber at the top of the adapter and the spigot of the bowl. Are you sure you have enough seal between the floor flange and the adapter. I normally install those with two wax rings unless the flange is above the finished flooring.

Thanks Terry. I’ll pull it and try placing more wax between the floor flange and the adapter. Why would the trap in the toilet not prevent gas from escaping though?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the seal at the floor is leaking, that's before the water seal above it. I make sure the Unifit crushes the wax to floor flange. I don't want any gap there.
I replaced a toilet on Roosevelt last week and with the bowl pulled, there was a strong wind coming from the plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks