TOTO Unifit install

Users who are viewing this thread

Trouthead

Reaction score
Just got a Toto Ultramax II with the unifit system. This is new to me and the last toilet I installed was in 1985. I had no problems with the last toilet install, and looking at the directions for the UniFit it looks pretty straight forward, but I am wondering if there are any tips or hints or things I should watch out for when doing this install? Looks like a common wax seal with out horns is what is needed, but are there other better choices. It actually looks like a pretty easy system and I don't foresee see any problems but thought I would ask for advice. Thanks for any help or hints. I do have my handy man buddy helping with the install, as it seems a little awkward and heavy for one person.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ultramax II doesn't use the Unifit.
The Carlyle does. What is the part number on the box?

unifit-install-01.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.biz/toilets/92-toto-aimes-one-piece-toilet.html

The Aimes does get a Unifit.
If the flange is lower than the floor I sometimes used two stacked wax rings. If the flange is higher than the finished floor, I use one.
You have four screws that hold the Unifit at the back. If you have tile or concrete, you will need to drill those. If you have a wood floor then the screws work fine without drilling.

legato_01.jpg

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....g-one-piece-toilet-review-and-pictures.56203/

Reach4

Reaction score
Drilling the 4 holes can be the hard part. If you are drilling through porcelain tile, that is hard.

IMO, the Unifit may be easier for the novice in that you get to see what is going on. You get to put shims in whenever you like. There is no worry about lifting up the toilet messing up the wax.

With Unifit, the caulk around the base is important. That actually keeps the front of the toilet from sliding left and right.

Use clear, which will match the flooring automatically.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/PSS_SEAL_TT_tds.pdf
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1422868
http://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-2In...ile-Latex-Kitchen-and-Bathroom-Caulk/50239245

Trouthead

Reaction score
Curious. I ordered a MS604114CEFG#12. The Packing slip says Toto Ultramax II one pc toilet, Cefiontect Graze. What was shipped is clearly an AIMES. I assume from the list price I got a more expensive toilet, and my wife says it looks fine to her. She is a big paper user that I inquired about before, and I am wondering if she will get as good an all around flush as with the Ultramax II?

Trouthead

Reaction score
My rough in is 12 inch and my flooring is vinyl over wooden subfloor, so drilling and screwing is not an issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
Dry fit in advance. You can move the Unifit a tad toward or away from the wall, so decide how you would like it. The slots that the closet bolts go through are smaller than the slots. Plus closet bolts can usually slide a bit in the slots.

It is not normal, but I used a level in positioning my shims. Usually people just use shims to prevent rocking. But since my time was cheap, why not? Composite door shims are often better for the purpose than those sold for toilets. Cut to size.

Trouthead

Reaction score
By the way the company does not want it shipped back unless I insist. It will be a pain to get it all back in the box, as lots of foam was sprayed.

Reach4

Reaction score
It will flush very well. Its skirted design is more elegant-looking. That lid is going to be really nice for setting stuff on vs Ultramax II.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless your floor is way out of whack, rather than buying some shims, I use a variety of coins. They don't rust and will be less than making a trip or buying actual shims. Never had a situation where I could not get the toilet stable. If you choose a coin with this year's date, it can be sort of like a time capsule down the line!

Trouthead

Reaction score
The install took 34 minutes. Went smooth. Floor was just about perfectly flat and there is no rock and roll. This UniFit system might take about 5 minutes longer than a regular toilet. All the hints were very helpful. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks