Toto Ultramax - water flowing/dropping sound after filling tank

Users who are viewing this thread

ViNesvarbu

Reaction score
My contractor recently installed two Toto Ultramax II toilets. One is behaving as expected, but second one is not. For that toilet, after flushing, tank fills up and watter shuts off, but then for about 1min there is quieter water running/dropping noise that is comming from the inside the tank. I checked and it is not visible where the water is going to when there is that sound. I called Toto support and they send me new fill valve, that I replaced yesterday, but with new valve issue is exactly the same. So that internal sound is just for about 1min after tank fills up and water shuts off, after that all is good. But I suspect this sound indicates some problems with toilet, but what?

Anyone else seen this issue? What else can I check to address it?

TIA!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you hold the float up, right after cut-off, does the noise continue then?

If no, how high is your water level with respect to the top of the overflow tube?

If yes, if you close the stop valve, at the wall, after cut-off, does the noise continue then?

ViNesvarbu

Reaction score
Hi Reach4,

Just did the test - if I hold the float up right after cut-off noise continues. My water level is about 3/4 of inch to the overflow tube. If I close wall valve after cut-off, noise continues.
It really looks that the noise is closer to the valve or the flapper. Is there any secondary water reservuar inside of this toilet?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think your test results show the noise is not from within the toilet.

Consider your PRV (pressure reducing valve). Get a pressure gauge, and see what your water pressure is. It should be under 80.

You can connect a garden hose connection gauge to an outside spigot, a laundry connection, or the drain for the water heater.

ViNesvarbu

Reaction score
Hi Reach4,

I am 99% sure that the noise is comming from the inside of the toilet. Actually I did one more test - If I disconnect that small water hose that goes into overfill tube and let water run just inside the toilet tank, then at the end, when water stops runing from the valve, there is absolutely no noise. So issue is with the water that goes into overfill tube - it keeps runing somewere for about 1min after tank is filled. Where can it run? There is a nob next to the hose that allos to increase/decrease something, but even when I put it all the way to minimum, I do not see any change.

And thank you very much for helping me to troubleshoot this! It is driving me nuts...

Reach4

Reaction score
Oops, sorry... I should have picked up on this sooner. That little tube must not go into the overflow tube. Instead it is held above the overflow tube by a little clip. If you lost your clip, you can buy one locally pretty easily. You might have to buy it with a refill tube. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1275844

What is happening is that the water is siphoning down the tube into the bowl. Raise the tube output, then no siphoning.
fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-tank-still-losing-water-any-ideas-why.66590/

Last edited:

ViNesvarbu

Reaction score
Reach4, my refill tube is positioned properly - I have factory clip that holds it properly, just above the tube.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4, my refill tube is positioned properly - I have factory clip that holds it properly, just above the tube.
Dang. That would have been too easy.

During that mystery noise time, what happens to the water levels in the tank and the bowl?

ViNesvarbu

Reaction score
Water level stays as expected. So to me it appears that when refill tube fills up overflow pipe, water from there goes much slower into bowl/another reservoir and that is the sound I am hearing. Tomorrow I will try to see inside flush valve and overflow tube. I'll post here my findings.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There's no other reservoir. The water down the overflow riser goes to exactly the same place that the water going past the flapper goes -- the bowl.

I started to tell you that disconnecting the refill hose will make zero difference whatsoever if it's daylighted above the top of the overflow riser and thus above the water level in the tank. That's certainly the case if the source of the problem is the tank. In that case, most likely you would have either have a crack in the overflow riser or a flapper past which water is leaking.

The typical test for that is to turn the water off at the wall, and let the thing sit overnight. Mark the level in the tank when you start and see where it is in the morning. If the water has dropped to a specific level, look for a crack in the riser there (or a vertical crack that ends there; pinch the riser to see if it separates). If the tank is empty, there is likely just a bad seal near the flapper.

However, the other possibility is that your bowl is overfilling, and you're hearing the water slowly trickle over the weir as the bowl level settles. Mark the water level in the bowl immediately after your fill valve shuts off, and then wait an hour and see if it has trickled lower. Actually, now that I think about it, that WOULD implicate disconnecting the refill tube because you would have less bowl refill in that event. Indeed, I'm guessing that you will find that this is the issue.

If so, then it's possible that the fill valve adjustment (if it's an adjustable one) just needs to be ratcheted back a little bit. If not, and this is the second one, I have to wonder if your toilet is level front-to-back. If it's tilted back a bit, the bowl won't hold as much water before it flows over the weir and while the correct amount is flowing into the bowl on refill, some is flowing over the weir because of a slight tilt. Regardless, it's an easy fix. Let us know.

60a2b37482b9afc3465975f1255f9819

11-common-toilet-problems--self-help-guide-.html

Last edited:

ViNesvarbu

Reaction score
vjcandee,

Wow thank you very much. I think you found the problem.
So I first disassembled flush valve and tried to poor water directly into the flush hole and I heared same watter dripping. So I read what you posted and simply poored cup of water directly into the bowl and same water dripping noise was heared !!!!!! So my bowl is overfilling and water is driping into weir - just as you said. Thank you very very much!

I just checked level front to back and it is perfect - bubble is straight in the middle. So your suggestion "fill valve adjustment (if it's an adjustable one) just needs to be ratcheted back a little bit" - how could I adjust fill valve to send less water into bowl? I do not believe my fill valve has any adjustments,but I could adjust toilet tank level, but it is alredy set fill up about 1'' below overflow level. Is there a way to fill toilet tank to proper level (I believe I read should be 3/4'' below overflow level) , but put less water into oveflow pipe and that is bowl?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What part number is your fill valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, that does not have an adjustable refill. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Water-Saving-Refill-Tube-215/202510400 could be used to reduce the fill. You might just be able to use the pinch clamp.

I would probably raise the fill level a bit, to maybe 1/2 inch below the overflow. That would also increase the refill, but you could compensate with the pinch clamp.

If you have city sewer, you could also look at the Fluidmaster Flush n Sparkle, and Kaboom Scrub Free bleach cleaners., They go in series with the bowl-refill tube and dump the chemical down the overflow to the bowl. The Kaboom can be reloaded, not only from the product they sell, with a slow-dissolve swimming pool or spa chlorine or bromine product. They put no chemical into the tank water.

The downside is that they pass the refill water through the gadget and more tubing. So it is possible that they could reduce the refill. However for you, that would be a plus.

There are fill valves that have adjustable refill. Plus, now that the mystery is explained, you could leave things as they are.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My pleasure! So now that the mystery is solved, you have a variety of options, including just leaving it the way it is. Reach did a good job of suggestions. A Korky 528MP (with the platinum-colored top) has a little refill adjuster on it that you could probably set to just-perfectly fill the bowl with no (or at least minimal) dripping, but leaving it the way it is would also be a viable alternative, too.

Now that you know the cause, the Old Junk Car syndrome will probably kick in. That is, the day that your neighbor puts his junk car up on blocks in his driveway, you're outraged and trying to figure out how to remove this blight on the neighborhood. Assuming that you're unsuccessful in getting it moved right away, by the time a week goes by, you barely see it... :)

ViNesvarbu

Reaction score
Reach4, wjcandee- again thank you very much for your help! As now I know what is happening, just as you said, I can live with it. I will try to find pinch clamp for refill tube (thanks for the link!), but there is no emergency for that.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks