Toto UltraMax II weak flush

Users who are viewing this thread

scsiguru

Reaction score
I've replaced a flapper on this unit over the years and I think maybe even a flush valve. Over the last couple of months I've notice that the flush has been weak (but it still does a complete flush) on occasion. This weak flush issue has been occurring more frequently as of late.

Could the flush valve be going bad? Or is another issue causing this weak flush? Has anyone else run into this same issue? I don't want to start replacing parts if I don't have to. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
This is why I use Gerber as up to now not a single call back even those installed over 15 years ago

As long as the flapper stays up long enough to drain most of the tank and the water level is 1" below the over flow tube it should work

You may have to hold the handle down until then tank is empty

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally that is something in the trapway slowing things down. it can happen on any brand of toilet.
The trapway on the TOTO zips things right on down, as long as there are things like wipes, Q-Tips, makeup pens, small toys
When the trapway is clear, it sucks the water and waste right out

The fill valve refills the bowl after a flush. With a full bowl, the flush gets better
New flappers often are adjustable for how long they float.

I have the Ultramax II in my home, works great, and made in the USA, unlike Gerber that's made in China. I like to support American industry.

Last edited:

scsiguru

Reaction score
Normally that is something in the trapway slowing things down. it can happen on any brand of toilet.
The trapway on the TOTO zips things right on down, as long as there are things like wipes, Q-Tips, makeup pens, small toys
When the trapway is clear, it sucks the water and waste right out

Thanks Terry...not sure what could have been flushed down the toilet...it's just my wife and I with no kids in the house that would flush things that shouldn't...lol

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks Terry...not sure what could have been flushed down the toilet...it's just my wife and I with no kids in the house that would flush things that shouldn't...lol

In my experience, nobody ever puts anything in the toilets, but I sure find a lot of stuff.

"Oh! Is there where that went?"

toilet-glasses.jpg

scsiguru

Reaction score
In my experience, nobody ever puts anything in the toilets, but I sure find a lot of stuff.

"Oh! Is there where that went?"

That's incredible!! I may just swap out the flush valve and see if that makes a difference. I'll need to find the correct part since it's been a while since I've changed one on the three Ultramax II Toto's I have.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two things to check first:
- make sure that the hose from the fill valve is pointing down the overflow tube and hasn't come off and is filling the tank. The toilet will not flush right if the bowl's water level is not proper
- make sure that the tank level is proper, normally about 1/2-1" below the top of the overflow (on some models, there's a mark on the tank for full).

The fill valve controls how much water gets into the tank and the bowl. The flush valve (in this toilet, it's the flapper and assembly) initiates the flush. If the level is proper in both the bowl and the tank, and the flapper stays open as designed (using the wrong one, or not adjusting an adjustable one properly, or having the chain the wrong length so it can't pull it up as far as it should can result in a poor flush.

FifthLabour

Reaction score
Website
www.coronaheights4rent.com
One of our 7 y/o Totos was running (not the Neo)
The toilets I am familiar with usually run because the flap valve isn't closing right or is not making a good seal, once in a while the water level is set too high in the tank.
This Toto is running because the the little hose to the overflow tube is not shutting off.
How do I fix this?

Reach4

Reaction score
One of our 7 y/o Totos was running (not the Neo)
The toilets I am familiar with usually run because the flap valve isn't closing right or is not making a good seal, once in a while the water level is set too high in the tank.
This Toto is running because the the little hose to the overflow tube is not shutting off.
How do I fix this?
Repair or replace the fill valve. Some fill valves have a replaceable seal. Korky 528MP silver top "Platinum" is a good choice.

SCal Robert

Reaction score
My Ultramax II developed weak flush within 2 years due to hard water deposits in the siphon jet at the base of the bowl which is always submerged. Here is the video that tipped me off and one possible fix:
. I should have paid attention to the hard water staining visible at the mouth of this jet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks