Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ms604-whidbey-1.jpg

A fun Whidbey Island job. It's nice sometimes to get out of the city and take a long drive. I installed three toilets for them.

ms604-whidbey-2.jpg

In the upstairs.

ms604-whidbey-3.jpg

Just a a beautiful location near the water. You could also see Mt Stewart in the Cascades Mountains from there. Washington's tallest non volcanic mountian, part of the Enchantments.

XtatiC

Reaction score
Hi, we are looking to replace 3 builder-grade toilets in our new-to-us home and are strongly leaning toward the Toto Ultramax II.

Two of the bathrooms have a banjo counter top. Height from floor to bottom is 31", which appears to offer enough clearance based on my research.

The depth of the banjo is 9". I haven't been able to determine if this depth will interfere with maintenance or the seat when upright. Any assistance would be appreciated.

The Don

Reaction score
I live in New York where we are allowed to have a 1.6 gallon toilet. I am looking to purchase the ultramax II, but quiet nervous that it will not have a powerful flush like our 1.6 gallon toilets in the other bathrooms. Any suggestions? Please advise!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I live in New York where we are allowed to have a 1.6 gallon toilet. I am looking to purchase the ultramax II, but quiet nervous that it will not have a powerful flush like our 1.6 gallon toilets in the other bathrooms. Any suggestions? Please advise!

They work great! I have one in my home and I've sold and installed hundreds. Many of those being repeat sales.
You you feel you need more water though, just hold the handle down and instantly drain the entire tank, not just the metered 1.28. Easily 2.5 gallons if you want it.

The Don

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. Do you have a recommended alternative toilet that has a POWERFUL flush from Kohler and American Standard?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pretty similar in some ways the American Standard Cadet series. I don't like their Champion series.
Kohler makes the San Souci and the Santa Rosa in a one-piece.

Toilets work pretty well now. You must have a really bad one if you're so worried.

The Don

Reaction score
Thanks.

My plumber installed the Kohler Santa Rosa, and it was working for two weeks. Now it does not flush at all. It automatically clogs and the water takes forever to go down. He used a plunger and an Auger, but that did not solve the problem. The plumber said it's not the pipes, the toilet is defective.

We just ordered the Ultramax II and currently waiting for delivery.

Bjsbuds

Reaction score
Pretty similar in some ways the American Standard Cadet series. I don't like their Champion series.
Kohler makes the San Souci and the Santa Rosa in a one-piece.

Toilets work pretty well now. You must have a really bad one if you're so worried.

Long time visitor, first time poster. We are getting ready to replace two Kohler toilets in our home that was built in 1998. We want taller toilets this time around. I was already to purchase two Kohler Santa Rosa 1.6 toilets from the Orange big box store, as they were on sale, and my time I got around, they are sold out.

So, I started looking at the Totos again, reading posts on this site. I was already to order the Ultramax II, which are almost double the Kohler. Then I start Googling the Toto toilets and tons of sites stating that Toto toilets are no longer what they used to be, quality is poor, and all the talk is hype. Geez, how does anyone know which to buy?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have sold thousands of TOTO products. And to be clear, I sell and install all brands. I see everything. TOTO is a very good product, I don't care what a review site out of Banglladesh, Africa, Philippines or India thinks when they sit behind a screen having never seen the products they recommend while getting an Amazon cut for the sale.

Quality control on TOTO is very good. I sold six Ultramax II's this week. I have one in my home. Most sales are repeat.

That being said, the person above that thinks they have a defective Kohler may need to pull the bowl and work from the bottom side before quitting on it. We find all kinds of things that were never flushed, but did go missing in the household. I don't care what brand it is, they won't flush phones, army men, toy cars, make up pens, Q-Tips, forks, tennis balls, potatoes.

Last edited:

Bjsbuds

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for your response. I took your advice, and just went ahead and ordered one Ultramax II. I am going to see how it looks and hopefully works before I purchase a second toilet for the other bathroom.

The Don

Reaction score
Terry - are there any 1 piece ROUND TOTO toilets that you recommend for a smaller bathroom? If not, can you please recommend another round toilet that is just as good or better than the UltraMax II.

By the way, I just had the Ultramax II installed in the master bath, after swapping out a defective 1.6 gallon Santa Rosa toilet, and so far the TOTO is amazing. This is the best toilet we have in the house. This is the first time I purchased a 1.28 gallon toilet and let me tell you, it still has a powerful flush and cleans the bowl very well. I feel like we went from a Honda to a Benz. No offense to Honda owners....

Thank you Terry for the recommendation!

Last edited:

Bjsbuds

Reaction score
Terry - We have now finished our bathroom remodels. I purchased the TOTO Ultramax II for the master bath, and a Kohler Santa Rosa for the guest bathroom. Love, love, love the Ultramax II, wish I wouldn't have cheaped out and purchased the Santa Rosa for the other bathroom. I am now thinking about getting another Ultramax II for the guest bathroom, and moving the Santa Rosa to the bathroom in our lower level. Thanks again for the advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Toto toilets. I think that they are worth the money. Their functionality is good throughout the line, so while some of them do cost a fair amount, it depends on the style, those at the less expensive side still perform and look good to my eye.

Royerm

Reaction score
I've installed 2 Ultramax about 9 years ago after reading recommendations from this site and still performing.
I have 2 questions.
1st. What is approximately the GPM refill that I should expect, I may not have paid attention over the year but now
It's showing .6 GPM flow.

2nd. Even with the sanigloss over the years and in the country I do have a yellowish ring in the bowl where the water sits
and I'm carefull on using something too abrasive to remove the gloss...... Any suggestion?????

Regards

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO recommends Dawn dishwashing soap. I put some in the bowl, foam it all up and let it set for a while, and come back a little with a nylon bristol brush.

dawn-soap.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks