Toto Ultramax II makes loud screeching noise as toilet shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

wideglidejohnny

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time since I last visited but I need your help again.

I have a Toto Ultramax II that makes a loud screeching noise as it shuts off.

A little history first. I have had this toilet for a number of years now and when it was new I can't remember what it sounded like when shutting off, but eventually it started making this loud screeching noise and finally the flush valve assembly wouldn't shut off completely so I replaced the original flush valve assembly with a Korky no.528 MP.

That was just a few months ago.

After I installed this new flush valve assembly the toilet was very quiet as it shut off. But now, it has gradually started getting louder and louder again with that screeching noise as well.

I bought another Korky flush valve assembly just in case it starts to not shut off completely again, but I can't understand what might be causing this issue.

I know there is a way to take these flush valve assemblies apart and clean them but I'd just as soon replace them, just not this soon.

Thanks.....

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know why you have problems with your fill valve, but it would be easy to check your water pressure to see if that contributes to your fill valve failures.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The higher your inlet water pressure, the quicker you can wear out the seal on the fill valve. FWIW, at least on the one you have, you can replace the wear part (the cap that has the gasket in it) separately and without needing any tools. IT's about $3 verses buying a whole new valve assembly. But, excessive water pressure is the most likely cause of this, but if you're on a well, you could be pumping up some sand, and just removing and cleaning the seal of any debris may solve it until it gets contaminated again. You can get the instructions from Korky's website...it's easy.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
On the 528MP, open the little knob that controls the volume of refill water all the way (so it .is parallel with the hose). If your water pressure is a tad high, it has a tendency to screech during refill. See if that doesn't fix it.

If that doesn't do it, also make sure the valve on the water outlet on the wall is all the way open. Same issue, and sometimes its hard to know where the screech is coming from.

wideglidejohnny

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I will report back and let you know if any of them work.

How do I determine if high water pressure is causing this and if so, how do you lower the pressure?

Thanks again.....

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Stop at a hardware or big box store and buy a water pressure gauge (about $15), preferably, one with a second, peak (tattle-tale) hand to show peak pressure. You can buy one with a hose connector on it. Screw it into say your washing machine supply, or an outside hose bib, or anywhere if you buy adapters (say, take out the aerator and screw in an adapter at a faucet). You could do it at the drain of the water heater, but it will be hot when you try to remove it!

Code says a home should be no more than 80psi. If yours is, you should have a pressure-reduction valve installed along with an expansion tank. Note, leave it in place for at least 24-hours, since the pressure can rise considerably late at night when nobody is using water...that's what the second hand is for, to read peak pressure.

If you mess with the small valve on the Korky fill valve, you'll mess up the tank/bowl balance and either end up with wasting water each time it is flushed, or have it not perform properly. The shutoff at the wall, though, should be fully opened.

When the seal in the Korky valve is new, it is a fairly smooth dome. When it gets old, and that may not take long if you have excessive pressure, when you take it out and look at it, it will have the impression of the mating surface embossed on it. Eventually, it will crack along one or more of those lines, but in the process, the chemicals in the water will also make it stiffer. If you have untreated well water, it could last a very long time. The more treatment on your water, both that seal and the flapper valve will need replacement more frequently than otherwise.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I appreciate Jim's concern about the little bit of extra water used if you open the refill all the way on the 528MP. If it's a choice between screeching and another cup of water, I vote for no screeching. Jim may feel differently. But try it anyway and see if that's the issue. Then we can debate the merits of the water usage, or get a different valve.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The bowl/tank balance valve should not be a source of any sounds. Certainly you can try it. It acts more as a divider, but doesn't actually change the actual flow through the total valve itself.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The bowl/tank balance valve should not be a source of any sounds. Certainly you can try it. It acts more as a divider, but doesn't actually change the actual flow through the total valve itself.

Jim, my friend, I'm here to tell you that with the high water pressure in my apartment building, the thing screeches like a banshee unless the tank/bowl percentage selector is open all the way. And the sound comes right from the little knob. Them's the facts. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

wideglidejohnny

Reaction score
Just an update.

I checked the shutoff valve behind the toilet and it was turned all the way on.

I also checked the little knob that controls the volume of refill water and it was also already turned so that it was parallel with the rubber hose.

I tried to move this knob a little but it was really hard to move so I put it back to where it was parallel to the hose and tried flushing the toilet.

When the toilet shut off it was a lot quieter. Still made the screeching noise just not as loud. So the knob must play some part in this issue.

If it turns out that I need to fool around with adjusting water pressure to the house, I'll just call a local plumber.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate all your help.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Definitely do check your water pressure as suggested above, and do get the gauge with the tattle-tale 2nd hand as recommended.

I found out my pressure was getting to about 12o psi overnight; fixed this with a thermal expansion tank. Prior to that, I had a lot of plumbing issues that in retrospect were caused by high pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks