Toto Ultramax has a water line buildup. Why and how to remove without ruining the CEFIONTECT surface

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
So brand new Toto 4 months ago in a newly remodeled bathroom. Well Water, Katalox, Carbon, then Softened to 0 (instant blue on the Hach b5 kit). I cannot tell if its a raised surface or an etched surface.. I should have gotten that before I posted..

I gambled and folded up a paper towel and soaked in with RESCARE.. (Phosphoric Acid) and rubbed it on the line.. It looked like it faded it a bit but did not instantly remove it. Thoughts on what it is and how best to remove? I just installed a 2nd Toto in the other bath and worried the same thing will happen..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use liquid dishwashing detergent on the bowls, letting it soak and then a nylon Bristol brush.
TOTO also says that CLR can be used.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I use liquid dishwashing detergent on the bowls, letting it soak and then a nylon Bristol brush.
TOTO also says that CLR can be used.
Thanks Terry.. I will try CLR.. as I mentioned it seems that the phosphoric acid in the (Rescare) did not really seem to affect it..

Do you have any ideas why really soft water would do this? Is it possible it actually etched the finish? That sounds like a warranty issue for Toto..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have seen that certain well water around has meant more cleaning. That customers switched all of his to the better TOTO glazing. He was an airline pilot, so the home would be vacant for periods of time, allowing properties in the water to adhere to the bowls.
I don't know whether his water was hard or soft. I'm more a city water guy that works with city provided water meters.

I do recall going into peoples homes with the old five and seven gallon toilets, a large pool of water in the bowl, with very little of the bowl not covered in water. Some looked like they had never been cleaned in years on the edges where the water met the bowl.
With less water in the bowls, 1.28 style, it's a lot more obvious when cleaning is needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Use a fingernail on the ring as a test. I expect you will find the ring sits proud of the porcelain.

If you find a chemical cure, that would be great. Otherwise, Pumie pumice will work, despite being very much contrary to instructions.

I suspect silica/silicate, which will be pretty much impervious to chemicals other than hydrofluoric acid, and that will attack the bowl itself. https://heatexchanger-fouling.com/w..._Improved-Methods-for-Removal-of-Silicate.pdf seems to suggest that a lye solution might help. That article is hard to read.

I have wondered if some snails could help, but I have not seen any discussion of that possibility.

I am not presenting suggestions, but only observations and thoughts. If you find a treatment, other than pumice, I would be most eager to read that.

Sure treatment: replace the bowl periodically. I am not ready for that.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks