Toto Toilets Sewer Smell. Needed the correct wax seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

NYC_Sport

Reaction score
I am a fan of Toto toilets, and have 8 of them in two houses. But following a renovation, we have a serious sewer smell from two toilets, an Ultamax and an Aimes. We had a number of issues with this contractor, and I suspect a defective install. The renovation was two years ago -- the sewer smell is inconsistent but present more often than not. Worse during warm weather. The Aimes toilet has a casting/inspection hole that appears might have mold, but that might itself be a symptom of sewage leak. So, I am going to pull both toilets next weekend. I have pulled/installed several toilets, but no Totos. So, what should I plan for in advance? Will I need to replace the Unifit? Or Unifit gasket? What sort of wax ring should I buy? I need to acquire what might be needed in advance as it is not very practical for me to get parts after the toilets are pulled.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice!!

Reach4

Reaction score
When I put in a Unifit, I packed wax into the bottom of the Unifit, rather than just letting the wax squish as normal. If you want to do any wax molding, I suggest using nitrile gloves to make hand cleaning easier. I would bring an extra wax ring or two to use for adding more wax if you decide to do that. Don't use so much wax that it will squish into the path.

Bring shims, and something to cut the shims. The composite shims sold in the door and window department are good. I shimmed for level, but normal is to shim in the back only to prevent wobble. You may want to bring a level, or not.

Bring acrylic caulk for use around the base when done. This is good for regular toilets, but it is important for Unifit toilets. The caulk largely keeps the front part of the toilet base from sliding left and right, in addition to the regular job of keeping liquids from seeping in. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/caulking-toilet-base.69351/#post-514776 I used masking tape when I caulked, because I am not practiced at doing caulk freehand.

NYC_Sport

Reaction score
Thanks all. Very much appreciated. I assume there is nothing special about the Toto wax seal? Horn or no horn on wax seal?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks all. Very much appreciated. I assume there is nothing special about the Toto wax seal? Horn or no horn on wax seal?
Toto does not make a wax seal AFAIK, so I presume you are referring to something different about using wax with the Unifit adapter. IMO it is easier with the Unifit. You will have to unscrew 6 places, including the 2 closet bolts, to replace the wax.

Below is a photo of 14 inch unifit I was considering using. I ended up not using that one. It does show the ears where the 4 screws go into the floor, as well as the closet bolts. So you will want screwdriver bits. The Unifit comes with Philips head screws IIRC, although it is possible that the installer used different screws.

index.php

The big gray circle over the wax has maybe a 1/2 inch cavity beneath it.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
RE: Horn or no horn.

It's personal preference, mostly.

I'm not a horn fan. However, if we are stacking the rings, one can put the plain one on the bottom and the horned one on the top. The horn helps keep the top one from moving.

An extra-thick wax ring can substitute for the two stacked ones. One such ring, without the horn, is the Oatey 90243 (Hercules Johni-ring Plus).

51iUFSD21VL.jpg

Last edited:

NYC_Sport

Reaction score
thanks again. I have seen a Toto install kit and it looks to me like their wax ring is relatively small. I will pick up some rings, no horn. The flange should be flush to the tile surface as this is a brand new renovation, but we shall see. I will report back once I pull the toilet.

NYC_Sport

Reaction score
Wanted to report back and convey a big thanks for the advice. I only had time for one toilet this weekend. The good news is that it was a breeze to remove the old wax ring. It came nowhere close to touching the Unifit, and was not deformed in any way. :mad: It was basically flush with the tile surface, so probably half an inch short of touching the Unifit. A mess of sewage. Likely the only reason the smell was not worse and there was no sewage leaking on the floor is that they had siliconed the Unifit to the floor. The drain is a bit too close to the wall -- 11.5 inches -- but the toilet went back together pushed flush against the back wall and three days later still smell free. Thanks again. Perhaps I will get to toilet number two while making turkey.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, while they can work when flush with the finished floor, toilet flanges are designed to be installed on TOP of the finished floor. What often ends up happening, is that they get installed on the subflooring prior to the installation of the tile, but that is not how they are designed to work. If installed on top, a standard wax ring should always work. If even or lower, you will probably need a jumbo or to stack two together to get a seal. Note, crud can get underneath the hinge of the toilet seat, and be hard to clean without removing it...that can smell pretty nasty over time depending on the use and how often someone misses.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think the poster meant that the top of the ring was flush with the finished floor. Sounds like he fixed that.

Congratulations, NYC_Sport!!!! It's always enjoyable to hear about successful use of our advice!

Nobody would believe the kind of crappy installations alleged-professionals have been found to do. And here in NYC, I can imagine what they were paid for it.

I'm no longer surprised when I read stuff like this. It's one reason that when one can find a real plumbers' plumber like Terry, one should never let them go. If he weren't a five-hour airline flight away...

Last edited:

Ron Epstein

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

First time here. I know this thread is old. Hope to get some assistance.

Just bought a Toto Bidet toilet, having them install it with optional service

TOTO MW614584CEFG#01

The only thing I need to supply is a wax ring and bolts.

What would be the best or proper ring/bolts to buy for this?

Thanks in advance.

s300e_6.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumber should have wax rings and closet bolts on the truck. If not, he's wasting a lot of time.
The Unifit adapter of the Carlyle II can be installed with wax rings. A single wax if the flange is higher than the finished flooring, and I stack two rings if the flange is lower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks