Toto Toilets in Massachusetts?

Users who are viewing this thread

pbowers

Reaction score
I posted a bit earlier this week about my plumber who was saying the Toto Vespin was likely to clog due to the unifit adapter. I convinced him to install the toilet anyway based on what I've read about the toilet and what I was told here.

The rough inspection on the plumbing was done today and when I got home I found a message on my machine from the plumber stating that the inspector says he's been seeing a lot of these "internet ordered" Toto toilets and that these don't meet the plumbing code in Massachusetts. Anyone heard of this before? I thought a Toto was a Toto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What code do they use?
They use them in New York and everywhere else I thought.

Listing / Approvals: IAPMO/UPC, CSA, City of Los

Angeles, State of Massachusetts, and others.

http://www.totousa.com/admin/upload/pdfspc/cst764sg.pdf

flange_03.jpg

Last edited:

jt3

Reaction score
pbowers,

Installed the Ultramax recently and it works fine. but it was the same one that was sitting on the floor at FW Webb and another location in Foxboro that I checked. In fact, the Foxboro location has a Toto with the G-Max flushing system in their own rest room which is just off their showroom. They use it for demonstrating the flushing action.

As to whether or not they meet the MA Plumbing Code, I don't know. I just know that it works well and uses a whole lot less water than the 30 year old one that it replaced.

jt3

pbowers

Reaction score
Found a little more information

I found a bit more information today, it seems MA has an approved fixtures list (http://license.reg.state.ma.us/pubL...del=&product=&description=&psize=50&pagenum=3)
On this list are approved fixtures for MA, some Toto toilets are on it, some are not. According to what I'm reading if your toilet isn't on the list you can't install it legally. The Ultramax is on this list but the part number is different than the one I ordered online. I'm still waiting for a call back from the company I ordered from to see if they know the difference between the part number on the list and that I ordered. For the Vespin I should be able to just swap it for a Drake now that I have a 12" rough in, a drake on the list is available from where I bought the Vespin.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The part numbers are the toilet without the seat.
Example
CST854S is the same as the MS854114S which comes with the SS114 seat in the box. If you look inside the tank, it may be marked with the CST854S or CST854

The pdf file on the Vespin says that it has the Mass approval though. .

Last edited:

pbowers

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for reminding me of that

Either Toto is misrepresenting the toilet or the list on the net is not up to date. I'll find out more when I talk to the inspector on Monday.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
It should be CST854S or CST854 for the Ultramax CST754 is for the Whitney.
There is another list it's for Toto USA as well as the list for Toto Ltd.

http://license.reg.state.ma.us/pubL...A+Inc.&model=&product=&description=&psize=200

I don't see the Vespin on that list either.
I see only some skirted toilets: The Aquia, Nexus, Lloyd, Soiree and the Guinevere these all use the Unifit.

Note from Terry, my mistake. I don't know why I had typed a seven (7)
That would be confusing. I changed it above so more people don't get confused.
Terry

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toto

The only reason I can think of for rejecting the Unifit adapter is the same reason they do not accept slip joints on the trap outlet. They do not want a sliding connection after the trap.

pbowers

Reaction score
Final Follow Up

The company I bought my Vespin from has a good relationship with the Toto sales reps and offered to have the toilet added to the approved fixture list in Massachusetts. About two weeks after offering to have the fixture added it showed up on the list:

http://license.reg.state.ma.us/pubL...o&model=&product=vespin&description=&psize=50

I'm not sure how a fixture gets "qualified" to be on this list. As other posters had mentioned other skirted toilets very similar in design to the Vespin were already on the list.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
pbowers said:
The company I bought my Vespin from has a good relationship with the Toto sales reps and offered to have the toilet added to the approved fixture list in Massachusetts. About two weeks after offering to have the fixture added it showed up on the list:

http://license.reg.state.ma.us/pubL...o&model=&product=vespin&description=&psize=50

I'm not sure how a fixture gets "qualified" to be on this list. As other posters had mentioned other skirted toilets very similar in design to the Vespin were already on the list.

I use that very list constantly, MA can be rediculously fickle when it comes to new products.
If I'd seen this thread earlier, I'd have suggested your plumber call the board and inquire...often they have a list there of items not yet posted publicly.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I gather that Mass. approval requires renewal fees to be paid...
Kind of like extortion...:eek:

mobstermass.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks