Toto toilet seats that are not soft-close

Users who are viewing this thread

GreeneTruck

Reaction score
I realize that this subject probably has been beat to death. But I could not find the answers to my question by a site search.

I am prepared to purchase a Toto Drake CST-744SL (elongated, ADA). I wish to purchase a Toto elongated toilet seat, to insure that the Bone color (my choice) of seat and toilet match.

I have read many posts regarding Toto soft-close failure. I do not need nor desire the soft-close feature.

Does Toto market a non-soft-close seat that fits the Drake? If so, what is the model number?

Cheers......Greenetruck

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO only makes softclosing residential seats.
I have sold thousands of them. I have almost never heard of a failed hinge. If it was an issue, I'm sure I would be getting calls.

On the other hand, I personally hear from previous customers that insist that they want the soft close with the next toilet they buy. I have thousands of past customers that love the seats. They helped sell the toilets in first place, and keep helping with the sales.

A few people that like things the way they were, don't like change. They tend to complain that the world has shifted and they don't like it. They don't like a lot of things and they make sure everyone knows they don't like stuff.

I do hear every day from happy customers that did like the seat. But you will never see "them" post that. They just keep buying.

Me..............I try to follow and hang out with happy people. It's much nicer.

Things I like about softclose.

They seem to last longer than standard seats. That's right. They last longer, and don't chip like painted seats.

I like that I don't have to touch them as much. If the seat if up, just start the thing, and it will finish dropping down easily by itself. It gets me to the lav faucet that much quicker to wash my hands.

I like that the colors match better with the seats. Though Bone on Bone is a tougher match than Cotton on Cotton.
The Bone won't be a perfect match no matter which seat you put on.

Kohler also makes some nice softclose seats.
When I install Kohler I make sure they get the Kohler softclose seats too.

GreeneTruck

Reaction score
Terry:

Thank you for your prompt reply. I guess I got a little spooked by the posts I have read about the Toto soft-close seat hinge fluid leakage/failure. Thanks to your encouragement, I am sold on the Toto soft-close.

A question. I have read that all Toto elongated seats are same size, but that the seats come in two, three, or more shapes, depending on the model (some flatter, some fatter). I am looking for a traditional style and shape to fit my wide, heavy, traditional bottom. Can you recommend a model number?

Cheers......Greenetruck

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The outer profile of the Toto seats only comes in two styles: round or elongated. Their top surface profile does vary...not up to date on the latest.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For what it's worth, one way to make sure that your seats last the longest is not to press them down constantly. Just give them a nudge, and let them do their thing. Jim, who is an engineer, is I think the one that posited that constantly pushing them into place is probably what causes premature failure for those few people who experience/complain about that issue. The pushing stresses the seals by increasing the pressure in the chamber. The seats and hinges are not, definitely not, fragile, but maybe years of doing that by people who "wonder why it won't close" might cause the issue in a few circumstances. It's easy enough to explain to family members how to treat the seat, and the occasional confused guest isn't going to make any difference.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, one of mine is now 13-years old, and still works fine. THe other one is newer, but also is as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks