toto toilet runs loud after flush

Users who are viewing this thread

sw

Reaction score
I just finished installing a toto toilet. the strange thing is, after each flush(actually after the water tanks is filled and stopped), there is this water running sound keep going for another 10-20 seconds, the best way to describe it, is as if there is person peeing behind the toilet wall.

after that running sound stops, it's ok, no further leaking or refilling sound.

I think there is something to do with the internal of the toilet, becuase I can repro this by pour some water into to bowl directly.

now, I tried to listen to my other toilets, and realized the others all have some very small running sound for a little while after the tank fills up, but this one is just too much.

any thoughts?

thanks,

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Entirely normal...the bowl typically gets (slightly) overfilled, as it does not flush well unless it is, and it can take it awhile for that excess to dribble over the weir and down the drain. It's more noticeable on toilets that use an adapter (such as the Unifit adapter), since there's more plastic there verses porcelain. The type of drain lines you have also make a difference (cast iron is much quieter than say pvc).

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I do understand your complaint. After the water shuts off, you hear a little dribbling or quick-dripping sound in the pipes. As Jim said, that's the sound of the little extra water that's in the bowl running over the weir, down the toilet's internal trapway and down the drain. Your bowl needs to be filled to the top of the weir in the toilet's inside for it to flush best. The mechanism will overfill it just a smidge to be sure it's full, and that extra will run over the weir and down the drain. That's why you can reproduce it by slowly pouring a little water into the bowl.

Here's a picture of a typical toilet cutaway so you can see what is happening.

toilet-cut-out-diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks