Toto Toilet leaking from hole in the back of the Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexnu

Reaction score
I bought a Toto toilet from a friend and I installed, but I noticed it's leaking from the bottom, I thought I had done something wrong installing it, but after a few tries I got suspicious and remove the toilet and tried it putting the toilet on the top of two buckets and flushed it from there and noticed that it leaks from a small hole located in the back of the toilet. I'm attaching a picture.

That small hole looks it is from factory, and a plumber suggested on the phone to just cover the hole with putty or something, but I'm curious why if the hole is from the factory why is it leaking from there? did it have a plug in that hole?

PXL_20210619_150439410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
There are holes cast for venting during manufacture, and those should be plugged later during manufacture. The stuff they use for that would be more durable than normal plumbing putty. You would want something that hardens.

Alexnu

Reaction score
There are holes cast for venting during manufacture, and those should be plugged later during manufacture. The stuff they use for that would be more durable than normal plumbing putty. You would want something that hardens.

Thanks for your reply, So you are saying that hole was plugged from factory and somehow the plug fell off. I guess I can put epoxy or something to cover the hole. I was a bit worried to cover the hole, but I guess it makes sense that that hole is supposed to be covered otherwise it will continue leaking every time the toilet is flushed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, epoxy may work on that. And it is pretty common to see patches on bowl where they had holes to let hot air out. Toilets shrink a lot in the kilns while being fired. Good job on being a good detective. :)

Alexnu

Reaction score
Yes, epoxy may work on that. And it is pretty common to see patches on bowl where they had holes to let hot air out. Toilets shrink a lot in the kilns while being fired. Good job on being a good detective. :)
Thanks!
I'll try with epoxy.
I was going crazy when I was installing it, I used 3 wax rings and installed it carefully but it was leaking no matter what that's when I decided to remove it and try like this, pouring water with another bucket.

PXL_20210619_171151699.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks