Toto tank leaking water into toilet bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Edward Chang

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you had a nice holiday weekend. I've been having some issues with my Toto toilet and hoping I can get some help. Recently, the fill valve broke (was making a screaming noise) and I also noticed that the flapper was worn down to shreds, so I replaced both - with a generic Korky Toto flapper and a Korky Quietfill Valve.

When I first installed the Valve, I noticed that it was constantly running (softly) into both the toilet bowl and the fill tube. When I contacted Korky support, they suggested that I flush the tank then turn off the water to see if there was a leak happening. As it turns out, the water in the tank lowered from ~4" to ~1", around where the flapper sat. Support thought it was a leaky flapper so they sent me a new one - I replaced it and it's still having the same issue. I even ordered the suggested flapper (listed on the lid of the toilet tank) and it's STILL happening. This is driving me crazy - any advice?

Anecdotally, it also feels like since I've replaced the parts in the toilet tank, there's a strong urine smell coming from the toilet ball that's worse than before, no matter how many times we clean the bowl and the surrounding areas.

Attaching a video of my toilet tank setup (including showing the constantly running fill valve + flapper) here. Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Bend the brass rod so that it pulls up the flapper without twisting it.
Wipe down the plastic edge of the flush valve at the bottom, making sure there are no nicks on it.
The Chlorine tablet will destroy plastic and rubber.

Edward Chang

Reaction score
Bend the brass rod so that it pulls up the flapper without twisting it.
Wipe down the plastic edge of the flush valve at the bottom, making sure there are no nicks on it.
The Chlorine tablet will destroy plastic and rubber.

Terry, thank you very much for your response - I followed your advice (video here) - wiped down the plastic edge, bent the brass rod so it's pulling upwards, removed the chlorine tablet, and it's still leaking - tried two different flappers (Korky 2021 and 2022). I noticed in another thread you recommended the 3060 - should I try ordering one of those? I'm at my wit's end here!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks