Toto Surging - Replace Fill Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdonchez

Reaction score
I have a Toto 1.6 gpf toilet (I think the models says ST743S - hard to read) that recently has been surging when it fills. It fills a bit, stops, fills, stop, etc. It does ultimately stop filling and doesn't seem to be leaking.

Should I replace the whole fill valve? If so, which Korky model is appropriate? Looking on Korky's website, I see there is a Quietfill Platinum (528MP) and there is also a Geniune Toto Fill Valve (528GT). Which is appropriate/and/or better? I don't mind paying a little extra if one is better.

Also, looking in my toilet it also looks like the flapper is getting a little coroded. I figured I'll just replace that at the same time. Any recommendations on the proper flapper?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your fill valve looks like the one from Korky, just buy the replacement seal, as it is about the only wear part in the whole thing, only costs about $3, and will restore the thing to like new without having to adjust anything. Korky makes an adjustable flapper valve for the 3" flush valves. I think that the hard plastic adjustment collar helps to support it a bit better as the water chemicals eventually soften the rubber, and can cause it to leak. They all die eventually, the speed depends on your water chemistry.

The instructions on how to replace the seal come on the package, does not require any tools, and for a first-time, will probably take you 10-minutes...after that, maybe 2-3. That seal tends to die faster the higher your water pressure is. Mine tend to last about 4-years. If you were on a well with 30/50psi switch, it could last much longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks