Toto Supreme Toto Eco bowl fills up too early sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

LINYBob

Reaction score
Every so often - maybe 20% of the time, after pressing the flush lever, the water flows into the bowl and comes up to the normal final level, but way too soon. I mean like within 20 seconds. Then the water keeps running - I guess in the tank and I have to jiggle the handle, then re-flush. At that time the water gurgles out of the bowl and then it fills up at a normal speed and the water shuts off.

I have contacted Toto and they sent me a new flapper, except this toilet doesn't have a flapper - it has some newer valve type thing. They really have no idea what is going on.

This more often happens with solid waste flushing, but occasionally with liquid as well. It is about every 10 flushes, on average.

Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Then the water keeps running - I guess in the tank and I have to jiggle the handle, then re-flush. At that time the water gurgles out of the bowl and then it fills up at a normal speed and the water shuts off.

During that time, is the tank pretty much empty? Is the chain tight while the symptom going on?

Your flush lever may stick, leaving the chain pulled. If that is the case, you can lubricate or replace the flush lever.

LINYBob

Reaction score
This situation does not happen every flush, so it takes a while for me to investigate!

The most recent time this happened (yesterday), I looked inside and it appears that this new modern flapper valve mechanism is to blame.:
Image is of a normal, at rest flapper mechanism. Notice the usual red flapper is not to be found anymore!

When the malfunctioning flushes occur, the inner piston thing ( I guess that is supposed to be a replacement for the flapper) does not drop down. It is not cocked or stuck on anything that I can see anything - it appears to be aligned correctly, it just didn't drop down when the flush happened.

I am not sure why this happens. The toilet is about a year old, but this has been happening sporadically since it was new. I called Toto at first and they sent me an old fashioned red flapper, which of course is not relevant for this toilet.

I also have a second Toto - same exact model, ordered in the same order also. It also does this from time to time. I think it is a complete design flaw of this new mechanism or perhaps they made a batch of bad flapper valves that went into my toilets.

I'm thinking maybe I could glue a weight at the top of that thing, near the chain attachment? To help persuade it to not get stuck. But I'm afraid that might mess up the ability of it to float back up, etc. Probably not a good idea.

I will contact Toto again - maybe they will send me two new flapper mechanisms that actually fit my toilets . Hopefully I just got two defective ones. I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

20180210_065604.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if it would help to bend the flush lever arm to put the pull pretty much straight up.

ms864114e-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LINYBob

Reaction score
I wonder if it would help to bend the flush lever arm to put the pull pretty much straight up.

I have adjusted the flush arm and verified the chain length is correct. We'll see if it helps! Thanks for the suggestion!

20180210_132029.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks