Toto ST454E(F) flapper replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
toilet3.jpg
toilet3.jpg
toilet1.jpg

I have a Toto ST454E or F toilet. Looks like an F, but might be an E.

The flapper needs to be replaced. The chart says to use a THU253S valve, but they don't make them any more.

From what I can find, the replacement is a THU499S. But it is not the same.
The old valve used a float between the valve and the handle bar where the chain hooks.
This one says nothing about the float.
Also, there is a round white plastic piece that appears to snap into the bottom of the valve but it was loose in the package the it doesn't say to use it or not.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ron

Attachments

• Toilet2.jpg
    Toilet2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 622
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you install the Korky you have, the float from the old one is no longer needed.
The white disc is to keep the flapper floating longer if needed, though I don't normally use that part ever. I have had issues with the new Korky flapper dropping down all the way with some TOTO flush valves. That big round lower part sometimes catches.
Also, if the silicone seal doesn't lay flat, soaking it in hot water will straighten it out.

This is the one I'm using lately.

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
If you install the Korky you have, the float from the old one is no longer needed.
The white disc is to keep the flapper floating longer if needed, though I don't normally use that part ever. I have had issues with the new Korky flapper dropping down all the way with some TOTO flush valves. That big round lower part sometimes catches.
Also, if the silicone seal doesn't lay flat, soaking it in hot water will straighten it out.
So, the Fluidmaster works better? Is the float needed with the fluidmaster?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless a flapper comes with the float, it's not needed. I'm installing more Fluidmaster flappers lately.
I would first install what you have. If it works on your Drake, and it should, then you're golden.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Unless a flapper comes with the float, it's not needed. I'm installing more Fluidmaster flappers lately.
I would first install what you have. If it works on your Drake, and it should, then you're golden.
Terry, I called Fluidmaster. They told me the Pro58 was for wholesale sakes only. They wouldn't give me the local wholesalers name. They said the 5403 was the cheaper retail version. They look the same but I don't know which one to get now.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I've used both. I sometimes pick those up at a Box store as the suppliers don't always have repair parts when I want them .
Don't know why there is a pro version and a big box version, but thanks for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
One reason for a pro version is often quicker to open packaging... rather than trying to rip into a heat-welded plastic clamshell.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks